Pages: 1

linkstar DVB-S2 RX TX problem

(Read 5036 times)
Green_A_O
★★★

Nigeria
Mar 9th, 2008 at 12:58pm  
Dear Eric,

I have two new linkstar DVB-S2A modems. I intend to use these modem for C Band satellite access.

The satellite I my dish is Pointing is  IS10 (AMC12)
The provider of the service is fobsky.
The problem is i cant get a lock with the modem (DVB-S2) but I can with the older modems
I can telnet into the modem by using the default IP but can't ping the modem.
I can really say if the modem system is can of lock to a particular provider.

If this is so then how can I set these modem free. The modem is manufactured 2008.

Need Help

WWW | YIM  
IP Logged

Eric Johnston
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Reply #1 - Mar 9th, 2008 at 1:18pm  
That is strange.  What is the IP of the modem?
What is the PC gateway, subnet mask and IP of the PC?

If you can telnet to the modem what configuration text line have you been told to type in by fobsky?.  
Have they given you any special line for DVB-S2 modems ?  Ask fobsky for an up to date installation manual with any special requirements for the S2 modem.
Reading back from the configuration screens, does it look like you have missed inputting anything ?

Best regards, Eric.
« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2015 at 4:38pm by Admin1 »  

IP Logged

Green_A_O
★★★

Nigeria
Reply #2 - Apr 29th, 2008 at 6:32pm  
Problem solved

I set the modem to DVB 0

WWW | YIM  
IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #3 - May 5th, 2008 at 9:58am  
hi dear eric sunny naidoo  south africa
we have a client that is using linkstar modem no model no on modem. pick uo internet on teachers computer only cannot see other 10 users. network used is rj45 and peer to peer using windows xp service pack 2.
we would like all the computers to see internet.
thank u
sunny naidoo
south frica
mail id: srinimunaga@yahoo.co.in
mail id: tsskp1@gmail.com

IP Logged

Eric Johnston
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Reply #4 - May 5th, 2008 at 11:10am  
There are three solutions to this I know:

1. Passive hub.  This device effectively parallels all the ethernet cables together.  All PCs see everything.   No management.  To work, your LinkStar service provider must have given you enough IP addresses for the PCs to be connected.  Hubs are sometimes unsatisfactory due to PC interfaces having different speeds (10 v 100) with auto-negotiations occurring.

2. Switch.  Similar to hub above but traffic on each cable is particular to the PC connected.  Possibility of management, e.g. Cisco switch.  To work, your LinkStar service provider must have given you enough IP addresses for PCs to be connected.

3. Router.  You only need one IP address from the LinkStar and you may invent as many private IP addresses as you want for your LAN.   Many varieties of router are available, often with a mixture of etherent sockets and wireless access for multiple PCs on your LAN.   A router is probably the least cost solution as so many millions of them are sold for domestic and small office solutions.

If you know the subnet mask of your LinkStar Ethernet gateway port, the number of PCs you can connect (without a router) are:
255.255.255.252   PCs connected = 1
255.255.255.248   PCs connected = 5
255.255.255.240   PCs connected = 13
255.255.255.224   PCs connected = 29

If you wonder about these strange numbers, note that in each case 3 extra IPs are not available for PC use, as they are used for the subnet name, the subnet gateway (LinkStar modem socket) and the subnet multicast IP address.

Read about routers before you buy one as traffic management will soon become your big problem.  You need to be able to monitor and manage your users to avoid abuse and congestion.

I hope others will make their suggestions here also.

Best regards, Eric.  
« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2015 at 4:38pm by Admin1 »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1