Advertisment: Broadband via satellite
Advertisment: Worldwide satellite services from Ground Control Company

www.satsig.net

Satellite Internet Forum.

Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

Need to use iSite but modem is PW locked..

(Read 9247 times)
et3sgh
★★

Mar 15th, 2008 at 3:21pm  
I fully own a 3000i modem that is operational but is password locked by the service provider obviously for their own benefit...

I can not do much about this for the time being and shall continue to use the service until the end of the agreement when supposedly they will release my modem; however, for now, I need to use iSite for administrative tasks such as realignment when needed, etc, etc.

The modem is operational and has IP connectivity.

Besides contacting the service provider and begging him to release my own modem back to me, is there any other realistic technical means of doing so?

Thanks.

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #1 - Mar 15th, 2008 at 4:16pm  
You are along for the ride.  iSite will not work unless you can log into that box with it.

IP Logged

et3sgh
★★

Reply #2 - Mar 15th, 2008 at 4:47pm  
OK, I appreciate that fact, I had also looked at all the earlier posts pertaining to this subject.

The question is; faced with such an issue and that there is a pressing requirement to unlock the modem, what are the possible recovery procedure(s) (with or without the cooperation of the provider) from a purely technical point of view?

Thanks again.

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Mar 22nd, 2008 at 12:28am  
Is the remote rlocked (remote locked) to the network or are you just unable to get into it with iSite, telnet, etc?

IP Logged

et3sgh
★★

Reply #4 - Apr 3rd, 2008 at 3:32am  
I can not get login with iSite, password has been changed, but I have no idea if the modem has been locked in any other way, BTW, it is operationing and has IP connectivity!

How can I tell if the modem has been remote rlocked?

Thanks.

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Apr 3rd, 2008 at 11:56am  
Try typing rlock from telnet.  If it is locked, you arent going to unlock it (return it to the wildcard) unless you talk with your ISP. 

If the ISP has changed the login credentials for iSite you are not going to get into that box.  A lot of ISPs change that login and pass to keep the user from taking himself out of the network. 

IP Logged

pgannon
★★★

Reply #6 - Apr 3rd, 2008 at 4:43pm  
The primary reason that iDirect developed the password lock, to the best of my knowledge, was to meet a request from network operators. 

Some network operators will include the modem in the cost of the service, however they do so on the assumption that the client will sign a contract and stay with the operator till the expiration of the contract.  At that time, the modem is paid for and the operator may be willing to unlock it.  The operator is justified in locking the modem to ensure that the client fulfills the obligations of the contract.

Other network operators may want to rent the modem or include it as part of the service, and the network operator wants to retain ownership of the modem.  If a client takes the modem away from the service, they are basically stealing it, so the operator is justified in having locked it. 

As I understand it, if you have purchased a locked modem and your operator went out of business, then you may contact iDirect directly and if they confirm that you have a legitimate access to the modem, they will assist you in unlocking it.

IP Logged

et3sgh
★★

Reply #7 - Apr 3rd, 2008 at 7:08pm  
Actually I bought a new modem that was not locked, I purchased my service from a reseller for my ISP.

The ISP maintains that the lock is "a standard policy and is for my and it's protection" and when ever I need to stop the service then all I need to do is to advise and they would release my modem.

However, I can not but think that the lock is a sort of an agreement between the resellers and the ISP which is used as leverage to ensure payment of monthly fees, to exercise power over  subscribers or simply to do evil by leaving an ex-client with a dead box because he/she dared to stop doing business with this particular reseller.

There are countless such true stories that can be used as examples.

The ISP's seem to encourage this behavior and the applicable laws seems lax in this area.

IP Logged

pgannon
★★★

Reply #8 - Apr 3rd, 2008 at 8:19pm  
That's pretty interesting.  I'm not sure that's what iDirect had in mind when they developed the locking capability. 

I suppose it might be interesting to put your ISP to the test by turning the tables and telling them that if they don't unlock the modem that you will take your service elsewhere. 

It's better in almost all cases for the NOC to make any configuration changes, and when I look at this forum and see all the people who want to mess around with their configurations, I can understand the network operator wanting to prevent the myriad of problems that might arise from customers messing around with configurations.  Why do you feel the need to have your modem unlocked at this time?  What do you expect to gain by it?  Are you simply planning to leave the service and want to make sure the modem is unlocked before you go?  Are you running out on a contract before termination? 

I'm not trying to be difficult, just trying to look at all sides of the issue.

If you can easily prove that you bought the modem "unlocked" then you shouldn't have any concerns.  iDirect should assist you in unlocking it.  It is an interesting legal question as to whether a network operator can lock up a product that a customer bought and paid for as a means of holding them to their contract.  I suppose this could be construed as virtual theft of the modem UNLESS the network operator's contract provided them with this ability and you agreed to it by signing it. 

I certainly agree that the network operator should be able to lock the modem in a rental or subsidized equipment situation in which the use of the modem is tied to a contract for service.   What does your contract say?

I have a tendency to look at this issue from the network operator's point of view.  Many customers have no regard for the contracts they sign.  Heck, some customers seem to regard signing of a contract as the start of negotiations, rather than the end of negotiations!  The operator must require a large deposit to ensure ongoing payment, or use a tool like locking the customer's hardware to ensure compliance.  However I would expect that in either case, the terms and conditions would be spelled out in the contract.  If the modem is not provided as part of the service and tied to a specific contract term, then I agree that it seems a bit shady to lock a piece of equipment owned by your client, unless they agree to it first by signing a contract that spells out this requirement. 

In any event, this does not become an issue until you switch providers.  Should you be planning to do so, and if you are not bound contractually to your current provider, then I would let your new provider know of the situation ahead of time and they should be able to rather quickly get iDirect to unlock the modem if in fact your network operator has no legitimate reason for keeping it locked.  After all it will be in the interests of your new provider to make this happen quickly so they can get you up on their service.

It would be interesting to hear some feedback from providers on this whole locking issue, rather than just complaints from customers.

IP Logged

et3sgh
★★

Reply #9 - Apr 4th, 2008 at 2:18am  
My issue with the locks is that I am effectively being stripped of the ownership of my own modem which effectively was "hijacked" and now I have to be extra nice (suck up) to these people otherwise I could end up with a very expensive door stop in an instant if they so wish.

What ever my intentions are, whether it is to stay or change providers at any time, I should have the ability to use my modem (property) in what ever way and when ever I wish.

Its like giving away the car keys to your mechanic, you can still use the car but at his discretion.

I can totaly understand the point about configurations, but I consider that this is an issue for the provider to resolve, the client should not pay for this, it is the provider's responsability to "harden" it's own systems so a reconfiguration of a single "insignificant “remote terminal somewhere should not bring down the whole teleport hub, which is effectively the apparent position maintained by the ISP's.

My agreement is very straight forward, I pay in advance for the service on my own modem so the ISP and the reseller is effectively guaranteed payment, there is nothing in the agreement on locking.

My problem was that the all the providers are located outside my country and thus I had resorted to a reseller for convenience, now I found a link direct to the ISP and intend to deal directly with the ISP, however, the sharp and narrow is that there is an undisclosed agreement between the provider and the reseller in one form or the other to punish deserters like me who jump ship so that I am made an example to others who dare to do the same.

IDirect would not even look into the issue due to any possible legal implications even though I can prove that I own the modem and that I had paid up for the service through the reseller.

It would be interesting to hear from iDirect on this issue, but some how I suspect that we never will.

IP Logged

pgannon
★★★

Reply #10 - Apr 4th, 2008 at 3:46pm  
If there are no contractual terms and conditions addressing the right of the ISP to lock your modem, I would have to agree with you. 

I'm not sure what iDirect would have to offer on this issue.  They sell to network operators, not to the end-customers.  The network operators sell the modems to the end customers.  I can understand iDirect's reluctance to get in the middle of any disagreements between end customers and network operators.  That could start with modem locking and go on to contention ratios, oversubscription of CIR and who knows what all. 

This is an issue between you and your ISP, just as it would be between you and your mechanic, given the example you provided.  You couldn't go back to Ford or Toyota because your mechanic had your keys and wouldn't let you drive your car. 

I think the lesson here is that customers should choose their network operator carefully, read their contracts and try to make an educated decision about the services they are buying.  You mentioned that you have found a link to the ISP and you are going to cut out the reseller.  First, why would the ISP unlock the modem just because you are dealing direct?  Second, any ISP who takes customers away from his resellers soon ends up with no resellers.  That is bad business.  You might want to consider shopping for a new ISP and make it part of the deal that they will help you get your modem unlocked if necessary.

Good luck.

Pat

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Apr 13th, 2008 at 2:33am  
I don't know if this is the same problem that we were having but if you use the Idirect software you must have 8.0 with secure logon. We had 6.0 and could not log in. You can download the software

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Apr 13th, 2008 at 2:44am  
You are correct.  Starting with 7.X iSite uses a secure connection.

IP Logged

et3sgh
★★

Reply #13 - Apr 13th, 2008 at 11:05pm  
Quote:
I don't know if this is the same problem that we were having but if you use the Idirect software you must have 8.0 with secure logon. We had 6.0 and could not log in. You can download the software

I am not quite sure what you mean, however, the provider used 7.0 to initate our modem.

IP Logged

ahmelect
★★★

Reply #14 - Apr 16th, 2008 at 7:35pm  
Hi,

if u looking to change the password of ur remote to KNOWN password just to login to it by isite.. u can use WINSCP its the easy way to change the password, or you can only use Hypertermenal, the root password is defult all times its iDirect you can check that after that u can use some comands to change the password..

BR

&&Ahmed&&Dar Al-Hikma
YIM  
IP Logged

et3sgh
★★

Reply #15 - Apr 18th, 2008 at 5:32pm  
Quote:
Hi,

if u looking to change the password of ur remote to KNOWN password just to login to it by isite.. u can use WINSCP its the easy way to change the password, or you can only use Hypertermenal, the root password is defult all times its iDirect you can check that after that u can use some comands to change the password..

BR

OK, sounds like just the man I need to talk to, can you please supply the details of this procedure and commands? You can email me directly if yiou wish.

I mean I know by now that one can possibly use the tools above to unlock the PW of a modem, however, I need details!

Thanks

IP Logged

Pages: 1