Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

Another odd outage

(Read 2276 times)
newnham
★★

Mar 15th, 2008 at 5:36pm  
Hey guys. Again I come to you with another wird outage problem. The last time a replacement of the modem was needed, wich BW sent very quickly (THANKS).
Now I am suspecting a BUC or LNB problem, and wouldn't be surprised at all if one of these caused the original failure.

For about 3 weeks now my systems has been going from 96 QRF to 1-15 QRF. When this happens, if I swap my TX and RX cables, the modem completley goes black when I plug the RX into the TX. I did this with the power off, when I didn't get any power i quickly unscrewed both cables and when I unscrewed the bottom cable it came back on. I did this several times and it would go off and on (powering down each time). I have no idea qwhats going on. When the cables are switched, and the light comes back on, I will switch them back and it will work. I got tired of doing that and now it loses all signal, will stay down for hours, and miraculously will come back again. Normally I would think something is blocking the signal, bad weather, or something moved my dish. But this power thing has me believing something else is going on. Does anyonehave any Ideas???

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #1 - Mar 15th, 2008 at 8:47pm  
I can't quite follow all your cable swapping - which is a bad idea to begin with. What I can say though, is that these modems have cable-fault protection. Anytime there's a short on either cable, the modem shuts itself down (goes black) as a self-protection measure.

//greg//

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

wafanet
★★★

Reply #2 - Mar 16th, 2008 at 3:03pm  
Hi will
U have a ticket open @ our end with no updates
Pls note the BUC is not an issue and infact pls do NOT swap cables as you're detoriating te co-ax edges of the BUC and/or LNB. Kindly liaise with us on the help desk
regards
kamal

IP Logged

Pages: 1