Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

Best Internet for Chile?

(Read 4487 times)
Ex Member
Ex Member

Mar 28th, 2008 at 7:09pm  
Hello,
I am moving to Chile for a year and was wondering what everyone thought would be the best solution for Internet. The city of Valdivia uses DSL however it is frequently down for hours and sometimes days. Is there a satellite solution available?

Thanks

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #1 - Apr 6th, 2008 at 6:30pm  
I have never heard of a whole town in Chile being 'down' for days. You basically have either ADSL from telefonica del sur or cable from VTR, both of which are better and far cheaper than  the very few satellite-based alternatives.

IP Logged

Patagon
★★

Reply #2 - Oct 23rd, 2011 at 5:37pm  
Quote:
I have never heard of a whole town in Chile being 'down' for days. You basically have either ADSL from telefonica del sur or cable from VTR, both of which are better and far cheaper than  the very few satellite-based alternatives.

In the XII Región the service passes through Argentina and occasionally goes down for a while.   In Puerto Natales the entire town of 20,000 has been "down" for a while. Locals blame it and all other ills on the "wind."  I think remote places like La Junta lose their satellite service from time to time but don't know for how long.  I have been in La Junta when nobody has either landline phone or internet.

But that is not my question:  we currently have substandard Chilean provider service at a remote mountain site in Aysén region ( latitude 46 deg S)  about 1 hour from Coyhaique.  We have purchased and are currently using Chilean-company-supplied hardware though it is all US-sourced (can detail if needed - I am not currently at the site)  -- anyway re-use of that hardware is desired.  Looking for recommendations for reliable satellite internet service that is not Chilean (horrible costs and characteristically terrible service from the Chilean provider).

Eventually will also be looking for similar satellite service rural/remote site or sites around latitude 52 to 55 degrees S.

thanks

En un lugar de la patagonia de cuyo nombre no quiero acordarme

IP Logged

Pages: 1