Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

Help!! Can I-direct 3000 Series Router support 1Mb

(Read 2643 times)
Ex Member
Ex Member

Apr 1st, 2008 at 3:43pm  
Hello, I am desperate to know if our I-direct Router can support 1Mb bandwidth. We were on 512kbps before now and after upgrading the speed over the network has become stupidly slow and clients are getting impatient. The ISP is Sky-vision. I need an enlightment anyone please.

Thanks

IP Logged

pgannon
★★★

Reply #1 - Apr 1st, 2008 at 4:40pm  

Yes, the 3100 will support 1Mbps.

What kind of traffic are you passing?  The 3100 does have limitations with regard to PPS (packet per second) throughput.  It will support about a dozen G.729 VoIP calls.  If you try to push lots of tiny packets through it (such as VoIP packets), it will run out of horsepower.

Sounds like some kind of configuration problem.

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Apr 2nd, 2008 at 10:11am  
Thanks pgannon, the only traffic presently running is only data and the more reason am surprised with the current speed experienced. I am almost certain that my ISP is nt been faithful or what else do you suggest before I make my decision and thats terminating my service with them.

IP Logged

pgannon
★★★

Reply #3 - Apr 2nd, 2008 at 4:25pm  
Tayo,

I'm not sure what advice to give you.  Are you saying that performance got worse AFTER the upgrade? 

It doesn't surprise me that an upgrade wouldn't improve throughput a whole lot due to the way iDirect and most other platforms share bandwidth on the outbound (the 8.0 code dramatically improves options for addressing this).  I would not expect performance to get worse unless perhaps you decreased your upload while increasing your download. 

If your upload is completely saturated it really doesn't matter how much download bandwidth you buy.  If you can't get your web requests generated because the upload pipe is full, then you'll have a hard time taking advantage of available download bandwidth.  Many customers automatically assume that if performance is poor that they should increase the download, but many times it is a saturated upload that causes the problems.

It's also possible that your network operator has increased the contention or sharing ratios on your service.  Satellite bandwidth over Africa is in relatively short supply and prices have been going up.  Operators really only have two choices:  a) increase prices, or b) increase contention ratios (which reduces quality). 

You need a heart-to-heart discussion with your network operator to try and figure out what's going on.  If you haven't looked at your throughput using iSite or requesting performance reports from your provider, you should take a look at the upload traffic levels and the number of TCP sessions. 

How many PCs share your service?  An excessive number of TCP sessions can indicate presence of a virus that is eating up all your bandwidth.

Good luck.

Pat Gannon
Business Satellite Solutions, LLC

IP Logged

tunde300us
★★★

Reply #4 - Apr 2nd, 2008 at 10:21pm  
hi tayo,i hope u know that skyvision does not give dedicated bandwidth i think its 1-4 ,so check the no of system ure using and make some calculations before deciding to cancel ur subscription with ur ISP

IP Logged

Pages: 1