Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

Will 3100 modem need changing for DVBS2

(Read 2526 times)
A.Walker
★★★

Apr 4th, 2008 at 1:22pm  
Idirect talked about having a patch for the 3100 modem so it would be compatible with DVBS2 , does anybody know if they have or will we need to change all the modems ?

IP Logged

pgannon
★★★

Reply #1 - Apr 4th, 2008 at 4:46pm  
To the best of my knowledge, iDirect has never spoken of an upgrade to the 3100 or any other iNFINITY modems in order to support DVB-S2/ACM.  I'm sure I would have heard this at an iDirect conference or from contacts at iDirect if it were true.

As I'm sure you also know, there are different chipsets required for DVB-S2, especially as it pertains to the LDPC.  So no, the 3100 will not be supporting DVB-S2, nor will any of the iNFINITI remotes. 

Will the older 7000 and 4000 DirecWay modems be upgradeable to DVB-S2?  Will they replace chipsets in all their old modems?

iDirect is coming out with a new Evolution line.  iDirect has been very open about the fact that new line cards and remotes will be required for DVB-S2/ACM.  The press releases make it clear that there has been no attempt to deceive anyone.

The beautiful part of this is that network operators can still use their existing 5IF hubs and their same NMS system to manage the DVB-S2/ACM services instead of buying a brand new hub. 

It is true, isn't it, that Hughes requires the purchase of a brand new HX hub and network management system in order to run DVB-S2? 

Additionally, iDirect has preserved their industry leading efficient inroute technology which by all benchmarks I've seen, surpasses RCS and other shared inroute options.

I give Hughes credit for being first with DVB-S2 and for copying a number of iDirect feature innovations and introducing them as "new" capabilities even though iDirect has been shipping those capabilities for years.  Very soon now, they will have competition from iDirect in the DVB-S2/ACM market and we will see how it plays out!  When the option is buying a brand new hub, or buying a new line card - what do you think the market will do given the vast numbers of iDirect hubs out there?   Fun times ahead.....

Pat Gannon
Business Satellite Solutions, LLC

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Apr 5th, 2008 at 4:06am  
As Pat said, the 3100 will not be capable of seeing that DVB-S2 outbound/Downstream Carrier.  I think it is doubtful that ANY of the legacy iNFINITI satellite routers will be adaptable or capable.

I really like iDirects minimal requirements to use DVBS2......cant beat an M1D0 line card, the iDS, and an EVOLUTION remote to get it all done.  Bonus: You get to use the same Rx (upstream) line cards for your returns.  

iDirect may be a little behind Hughes in the DVBS2 game as they are just getting the technology to the field, but I personally think the iNFINITI Line will carry iDirect for some time.  Hughes has definitely copycatted some of iDirects features/innovations....but they have a way to go if they want to compete with TRANSEC MESH or potentially DVBS2 TRANSEC MESH (want to throw a spread spectrum channel in the inroute group with star or mesh inbounds?  Go ahead!).  Like Pat said....fun times are dead ahead.  

Does anyone know the max info rate of the HUGHES HX return channel?  I think I remember reading 3.2MB. Anyone? I am really curious more than anything...

I enjoy the technology explosion between the vendors.  It translates to better service/experience for the end user!

« Last Edit: Apr 5th, 2008 at 3:01pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1