Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

Satellite IP - Galapagos Islands

(Read 4430 times)
Ex Member
Ex Member

Aug 18th, 2008 at 7:39pm  
I am moving shortly to San Cristobal in the Galapagos Islands (600miles off the west coast of Ecuador).  While there are telephone and IP services, they are inadequate to my needs. I need reliable broadband Internet access (including fast upload) and telephony. Are there any suitable providers out there?

Sean

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #1 - Aug 19th, 2008 at 11:07pm  
Mel;

Thank you for your interest. I have much to learn about the various systems and their capabilities before I can set on a specific plan.

My immediate need is to maintain reliable telephone & internet contact with business clients in Canada, with an ability to download/upload data files of 1 to 10MB, albeit not frequently (i.e. not a particularly significant monthly throughput). To stay current, I will also be downloading business software, patches, etc.

Longer term, we will be setting up a new tourism-oriented business with luxury accommodation including broadband internet access, teleconferencing etc. 

If you can point me to some "Satellite for Idiot's" type publications it would be most helpful. At this time the various options do not mean much to me. Given the remote location, I imagine that not all of the Kbps rates are achievable, or are they? Is the "Express Service" an alternate to the table of rates?

Immediate questions include: where do I buy the equipment?; and how will it be installed?

Regards,
Sean

IP Logged

Mel_Berry
★★

Texas USA
Reply #2 - Aug 26th, 2008 at 6:24pm  
Quote:
where do I buy the equipment?; and how will it be installed?

You can purchase the equipment in USA, and you export to Galapagos any way you like.   Installation by one of us, or anyone whom is trained/certified to install IDIRECT.

A satellite phone would be necessary to make the final install-commissioning, but after wards you could use VoIP ( Packet 8 ) over this system with Bandwidth that costs about $200/month.  This would be capable of carrying several good quality low-latency phone calls.

I can call you sometime from one of these sites if you are interested.

Mel Berry
Houston Media Systems
« Last Edit: Nov 17th, 2014 at 9:48am by Admin1 »  

Mel Berry : Houston Media Systems : Hughes HX & HN - covers North, Central, and most of S America
IP Logged

Pages: 1