Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

Satellite G10 or G18 @ 123w with *choice dish

(Read 12528 times)
vusua4me
★★

Aug 25th, 2008 at 6:36am  
I have *CHOICE elliptical dish, 33'' x 18'' with quad LNBs, 4 output ports. I tried to point my dish to 123W without luck. I'm using CS8100 and living in Edmonton
« Last Edit: Aug 25th, 2008 at 9:28am by Admin1 »  

IP Logged

Admin1
YaBB Admin
★★★★★

Reply #1 - Aug 25th, 2008 at 9:34am  
Use this page Satellite dish pointing in Canada.  

Polarisation: Rotate the LNB 7 deg clockwise, while facing towards the satellite.

Elevation angle: Set the elevation angle using the scale on the bracket behind the dish.

Azimuth: Use a compass or the blue/grey/blue line towards the satellite versus the wall of your house or property boundary to get some idea of the direction.  Swing the dish boldly sideways and you will find the satellite.

Best regards, Eric.

IP Logged

vusua4me
★★

Reply #2 - Aug 25th, 2008 at 7:43pm  
Quote:
Use this page Satellite dish pointing in Canada.  

Polarisation: Rotate the LNB 7 deg clockwise, while facing towards the satellite.

Elevation angle: Set the elevation angle using the scale on the bracket behind the dish.

Azimuth: Use a compass or the blue/grey/blue line towards the satellite versus the wall of your house or property boundary to get some idea of the direction.  Swing the dish boldly sideways and you will find the satellite.

Best regards, Eric.

Thank you for your info.
What do I have to setup on reciever, CS8100 ? Which Tp is the best ?

IP Logged

Eric Johnston
★★★

Reply #3 - Aug 25th, 2008 at 8:13pm  
For Galaxy 18 satellite TV programming see here: https://www.lyngsat.com/galaxy18.html

Note the Ku band beam coverage maps and downlink eirp contours. Edmonton is beyond the nominal beam edge so your dish size will need to larger than size used in US states further south.  You may find your dish offers only marginal performance, with some errors in clear sky conditions and complete loss of service in the slightest rain.

Tune to any convenient carrier to get started and find the satellite.   Note the Vertical and Horizontal polarisation and satellite downlink frequency and symbol rate.   Polarisation is probably selectable using low (+13V) or high(+19V) DC supply to the LNB.  Operation in low Ku band needs 22kHz tone off.  Operation in high Ku band needs 22kHz tone on.   Make sure you receiver knows the actual two local oscillator frequencies of your LNB (e.g. 9.75 and 10.6 GHz).  Get a copy of the specification of your LNB to find out how it works - they are not all the same in response to voltages, tones and possibly DiSEqC signalling.  The quad output and the way it operates may take a bit of effort too understand.

Once peaked up on the satellite it may be possible to initiate a full tuning scan whereby the receiver will tune across all frequencies and try various symbol rates (maybe 20 minutes).  This may find many, but not all, carriers.  Use lyngsat as a guide.

It is a possibility that your receiver may have a very large number of pre-programmed carriers already stored in it.   This may not be up to date but it might have list there for Galaxy 18.  Check before you delete the memory.

Best regards, Eric.

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #4 - Aug 25th, 2008 at 11:28pm  
Actually, a 4 LNB elliptical dish usually means multi-sat reception. As such, the point in space at which you will aim will be somewhere midway between/amongh up to 4 satellites carrying Star Choice programming. I believe the proper AZ/EL from your location will only be disclosed after you enter your ZIP code into the receiver during setup. That's likely when it will give you the numbers you need to then point the dish. It's only at that stage of the game, can the fine tuning process actually begin.

//greg//

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

vusua4me
★★

Reply #5 - Aug 26th, 2008 at 4:27am  
Quote:
For Galaxy 18 satellite TV programming see here: https://www.lyngsat.com/galaxy18.html

Note the Ku band beam coverage maps and downlink eirp contours. Edmonton is beyond the nominal beam edge so your dish size will need to larger than size used in US states further south.  You may find your dish offers only marginal performance, with some errors in clear sky conditions and complete loss of service in the slightest rain.

Best regards, Eric.

You may right Eric, I checked the dish size for 123w in Edmonton. it gives me 3m dish while my dish is only 33"x28'' eliptical
link: https://www.dishpointer.com/satellites/

I will try again this weekend with my current dish.
I dont know are there any other sats that I can point the *choice with this LNBf

I really appreciate your help. Thank  you guys

IP Logged

Eric Johnston
★★★

Reply #6 - Aug 26th, 2008 at 8:36am  
If it is Star Choice programs you want then the satellites at 107.3W and 111.1W look a better bet.  See the lyngsat listings.  These carriers are intended for reception in Canada with small dishes.

If the LNB arrangement consists of an integrated assembly of multiple feeds and LNBs then you need to concentrate on aligning one feed to one satellite  (normally the centre satellite or either of a pair).  The whole array of feeds needs tilting for polarisation to match the line of the orbit.  This generic diagram may help.

This image below shows a triple LNB set approx level to suit 3 satellites around the 'top' of the orbit arc.

The image below shows 5 feeds arranged to suit satellites down one side of the orbit arc.  Note the entire array is now tilted.

When aligning to a specific satellite it is helpful to put aluminium foil over all feed horns except the intended one.  This will avoid reception via the wrong horn if you misunderstand the way switching occurs between the F connectors and the feeds.  Note the reflector makes a mirror image, so the left feed corresponds to the right satellite and vice versa.

Best regards, Eric.

IP Logged

Pages: 1