Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

internet connection problem

(Read 1943 times)
Ex Member
Ex Member

Sep 9th, 2008 at 11:19am  
Hi Eric :
iam using iDirect 3000 series with1.2m huges dish for the last month ihad problem with the dish pointing and i manage to solve it with your help and the vsat is running but the problem is the internet connection is become very very  slow and my question does that had any thing to do the dishpointing . and should i start repointing the dish again or should i contact my servce provider.bear in mind that i check my SNR and it varies from (-8 to -9.3).

IP Logged

Eric Johnston
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Reply #1 - Sep 9th, 2008 at 12:15pm  
I suggest you contact your service provider and get their advice.

If you have peaked up your pointing accurately and have the polarisation set correctly you should have no errors on receive under clear sky conditions.  Your signal quality should be good and stable.

But, if you are even slightly mispointed your transmit direction will suffer and this could cause slow internet connections, even if your receive direction is OK.

When pointing a dish it is really important to get it to the exact beam centre, so that the narrower transmit beam is aligned correctly.  It is not easy to get this message across as the final receive peaking will make no detectable change in the receive quality.  Halving the distance between exactly equally degraded points is a very successful peaking up technique terchnique.  Never believe someone who says that have got a "good enough receive signal".  It is not "good enough receive" that matters, it is the exact centering of the narrow transmit beam.   A "good enough receive signal" may be obtainable over a wide adjustment range but the required accuracy is to get into a narrow range in the middle of this circle.   The antenna mount must be rock solid.  Adjust the bolts in 1/6th turn increments.

Best regards, Eric.

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Sep 10th, 2008 at 1:21am  
Quote:
Hi Eric :
iam using iDirect 3000 series with1.2m huges dish for the last month ihad problem with the dish pointing and i manage to solve it with your help and the vsat is running but the problem is the internet connection is become very very  slow and my question does that had any thing to do the dishpointing . and should i start repointing the dish again or should i contact my servce provider.bear in mind that i check my SNR and it varies from (-8 to -9.3).
Upstream or downstream SNR?  Readings of 8 and 9 are normally indicitive of UPSTREAM SNR as the Network UCP (for the upstreams) is normally configured for 9 db with fine adjusts of 1dB.  

Also, as for SLOW service, what does ICMP tell you?  Pick an address on the WWW or your NMS server at the Hub and PING it a minimum of 60-100 times and see if any packets are dropping.  If possible I recommend pinging it with a loaded packet (size 1400+)

M

IP Logged

Pages: 1