Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

iDirect TS2  Iraq,   TAKE 2

(Read 5639 times)
Ex Member
Ex Member

Sep 12th, 2008 at 4:50pm  
Ok, recently purchase the system from TS2. So far have about 8-14 hours a day for the past 5 days invested in trying to get this running.

I started out on the Intelsat 901 have been switched to the Intelsat10-02.

My initial problem was unable to track anything over 7 volts. Just recently today I decided to try out a older dish and LNB/BUC that was left by a prior unit.

After hangin this dish we aquired 17v in a matter of 30 seconds. We continued setting everything up and attempted activation our TX was unsuccessful.

Does the BUC make a difference if it is a different kind?

We even tryed swapping the LNB off the old dish to the new (as they are same p/n) with still no luck.

I'm getting some support but its very difficult to convey my point and am starting to lose hope. We have tried over 4 different locations for setting up 6 different cables, and many more.

I thought for once we would be good once we tracked with old dish but TX woundn't work while talking to them.

The kind of BUC that is on the old dish were trying to get working is P/n-1035819-0001.

Help!!!!

The only thing tech support is telling me is get a new BUC or Modem..........  Um ok wouldn't that be them sending to me, or did I play the lottery with my 4k and hope to win working equipment and service?

IP Logged

Eric Johnston
★★★

Reply #1 - Sep 12th, 2008 at 7:51pm  
You tried the LNB on the other dish and no luck.  There is therefore a pointing, polarisation or satellite visibility problem with the other dish.

You need a general purpose BUC for iDirect, not a proprietory Hughes BUC P/n-1035819-0001.

To speed up the processs of helping you I suggest you supply all the information you have been sent by TS2 and also some pictures of your dish, plus your approx location.

Best regards, Eric.

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Sep 13th, 2008 at 2:30am  
So the RX LED is green?  

Do you have the ability to telnet into that modem?  If so, type rx snr and provide me with the feedback it gives you.

Also, I am assuming that you have had your ISP activate your modem on the Hub?  Please ensure they have.  Also, they will need your lat/long to plug into the hub (this will compute an FSD value for your options file)....that value will allow you to get a frame start into the upstreams (get into the network).

If you had an RX light, you may have been locked onto an adjacent spacecraft with a similiar downstream carrier (TDM carrier) that happens to fall within the same MHz of the frequencies you are using.  (it happens all the time with manual acquiring).  

Next time you have a receive light, have the hub RESET you (your serial numbered 3100).  If you are on the correct carrier and have a c/n above 3dB, your system will reset.  If not, you are more than likely getting voltage from another spacecraft that is very close to the one you are pointing at (thus illuminating the RX LED).  That could be the reason why your TX never illuminated....
« Last Edit: Sep 14th, 2008 at 2:04pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Sep 15th, 2008 at 11:09am  
Ok I have been able to get it to work, only by using the existing equipment I had and adding TS2 buc to it.

So basically I paid a lot of money for stuff that didn't work.

I have the service set up now, and so far unimpressed with the latency and speeds of the service.

I was told it would be able to support 15-20 people and that is not looking like the case.

Going to see what they can do to help me or maybe be searching for a new ISP.

Brandon

IP Logged

ShareUrKnowledge
★★

Reply #4 - Sep 15th, 2008 at 2:25pm  
Dear Bushak,
Bentley Walker is going iDirect DVBS2.
If you would like to upgrade for free to the eVolution DVBS2, to get more bandwidth for same price please contact sales@bentleywalker.com
Thanks.

IP Logged

chinook404
★★

Reply #5 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 8:04pm  
bushak,

I'm here at taji and also hve the same set up as u and also havin the same problem with thte service the most i can get up or dwn for 15 ppl is 7kb a sec... and it sux... also lookin into changing isp's

YIM  
IP Logged

kidtroopa
★★

Reply #6 - Feb 9th, 2009 at 11:07am  
I am too feeling the pain of getting a brand new setup up and working from TS2.     The teleport techs in Dubai are rude and do not offer much support.   I can barely get over 4v using iSite.     Using a specani.....I lock into the "supposed" freq.......switchover to iSite.......and it reads 2v now.   It's never consistent.

I had better readings with the old option file that was on there when I got the modem.  Ever since they sent me the new option file.........its worse.   I'm going to try for one more week.........then I'm going to give up on TS2 and GTSC and seek services elsewhere.

The main problem I think I have is the satellite they have me pointed to Intelsat 10-02.   Due to my lat long location........I calculated the antenna tilt to be -9.   I had to place a cinder block under the base just to be able to get that angle.   

Is anyone else on Bagram using this same satellite?

IP Logged

Eric Johnston
★★★

Reply #7 - Feb 9th, 2009 at 11:55am  
Intelsat 10-02 is at 1 deg west orbit position and it has a Ku band spot beam pointed at Iraq with coverage also of south western Afghanistan.  Towards the north east of Afghanistan the elevation starts to get too low.  I've clearly marked the 10 deg, 5 deg and 0 deg elevation contours on the map below.
Using dish pointing Afghanistan I calculate that your required beam elevation angle is 7.6 deg, azimuth 254 magnetic compass and polarisation adjustment 53.4 deg clockwise, as viewed from behind the dish and starting with the LNB either upwards (for nominal horizontal polarisation) or at a side (for nominal vertical polarisation).

Regarding beam elevation angle, my recommended minimum limits are 10 deg for Ku band and 5 deg for C band.  At low elevations you suffer more during rain as the path length through the rain is longer.  The dish picks up more noise from the warm ground and you suffer scintillation, like the twinkling of a star near the horizon due to varying refraction in the atmosphere which makes your signal go both up and down.

To set 7.6 deg beam elevation start with the front face of your dish vertical.  The beam elevation will now be some angle like 30 deg (read the manual for the exact  offset angle). In this example the difference is 22.4 deg so the top of the dish needs tilting forwards by 22.4 deg.  As you have found, the bottom rear edge of the dish tends to hit the pole and you may have to tilt the entire mount forwards.  An alternative is to turn the dish upside down; with the front face vertical the beam elevation is now -30 deg (into the ground) so tilt the top of the dish 37.6 deg backwards.  Use the elevation scale or a plank of wood up the front of the dish and an inclinometer.

Best regards, Eric.

IP Logged

Pages: 1