Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

Alternative to Broadsat

(Read 5510 times)
michael87
★★

Oct 3rd, 2008 at 6:42pm  
Hey all,

Just finished sampling Broadsat one-way Pay As You Go service and on the most part it was pretty good.

Do any of you know of any other one-way providers I could try out? Broadsat was my first experience with one-way so I'll be using their service as a benchmark.

Thanks everyone! Smiley

IP Logged

sarpkaya
★★

Reply #1 - Oct 3rd, 2008 at 11:58pm  
Love, why? What if he has nice upload speed, and he only needs download speed?

IP Logged

michael87
★★

Reply #2 - Oct 4th, 2008 at 7:59pm  
2-way isn't a cost effective alternative for my needs. I'm not in the middle of nowhere! I've got 64k ADSL uplink so I'm just looking for a one-way alternative to Broadsat.

Is SkyDSL any good?

I'm locked onto Eutelsat's W3A @ 7° East. Anyone know if there are any other one-way providers on this particular sat?

Many thanks Smiley

IP Logged

michael87
★★

Reply #3 - Oct 4th, 2008 at 10:31pm  
It doesn't cost me anything to realign my dish to sample another provider.. Isnt that the beauty of satellite?

If I cant find another one-way alternative to Broadsat I'll probably end up sticking with them and using their 'pro' service.

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Oct 5th, 2008 at 10:11am  
Michael
A comprehensive list of European Satellite providers with links to the respective websites.
https://www.ispreview.co.uk/cgi-bin/listman/exec/satellite.shtml

I use BOTH one-way (Broadsat) and two-way (HughsNet) satellite systems, and while I have to admit Broadsat customer service can be a bit frustrating at times, I have found them, overall, to be very reliable AND cheap!
Regards
McD

IP Logged

michael87
★★

Reply #5 - Oct 5th, 2008 at 1:27pm  
Hey McD,

Thanks for the link. Certainly one to add to the bookmarks!

There aren't many unique one-way providers out there. Most seems to be resellers. Easy to spot as charges are identical down to the pennies!

Do you know of any good tweaks to improve one-way performance? I'm connected to Broadsat via SkyStar 2 (USB) and I've got an ADSL uplink of 64k.

Cheers

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 3:21pm  
Michael,
Glad to be of assistance!
One-way is getting outdated and most of the providers are trying to get people to switch to Too-Way. (Don't get me started on "price fixing"). Notice how very few Satellite Providers publish their prices, on their websites??
As far as tweaks for one-way systems, there aren't any! I have the "up to" 2Mb service with Broadsat, never really get much more than 350/500kbs, and I have a 128kb uplink. Too many subscribers crammed on the service. Only use it for big downloads as the Hughnet grinds to halt if you download anything bigger than 75Mb.
McD

IP Logged

michael87
★★

Reply #7 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 6:50pm  
Hey McD,

I'm on that same 'up to 2Mbps' package as you. Started out with the Pay As you Go as I was told PAYG subscribers get traffic priority.

What I've noticed with one-way is that it takes quite a long time for it to max out at it's best effort speed (usually 500kb) so I did a quick test and discovered that most average websites load faster on my 128k ADSL connection, most probably due to latency being much lower.

Having said that, my satellite connection is definitely faster when it comes to downloading larger files like you mentioned...

Just curious, I've heard allot of noise about DVB-S2 being 30% faster than regular DVB-S... I've got a Skystar 2 (USB) DVB-S receiver, but if I upgrade to an S2 compliant receiver will I get better performance? or does Eutelsat/braodsat need to be broadcasting in S2 as well?

Cheers

IP Logged

Pages: 1