Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

More info about satellite internet

(Read 4651 times)
Ex Member
Ex Member

Nov 17th, 2008 at 11:09pm  
I am in the middle of shopping for satellite internet. I found some info from a website. Is there any info I need to know before signing up a HughesNet service from them? I appreciate your feedback. Thanks.
« Last Edit: Nov 17th, 2014 at 10:11am by Admin1 »  

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #1 - Nov 17th, 2008 at 11:26pm  
I personally would never order from some no-name outfit that doesn't even put their address in their advertising. That InfoDish outfit doesn't look like anything more than a reseller. They'll just take your money, then sell the job to someone else.

Most of the time you're much better off ordering satellite internet installation from a local dealer/installer. Where do you live Alan?

//greg//

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Nov 19th, 2008 at 4:54am  
I have to agree with "USN - Retired" as I am a dealer of hughesNet, but there is one more important factor of a HughesNet system..!

And that is the install..!

Is he/she in a hurry?
Will it be installed properly?
Is he/she tring to high ball the install fees?

These are the major factors of a good install that will leave you satisfied for years with great service..!

I can be reached for service Q at tumbleweedllc@myway.com

IP Logged

HVYMTL
★★★

Reply #3 - Nov 20th, 2008 at 6:06pm  
We sell & install, and I advise to buy local- dont buy as mentioned from a national sales only company that will have it installed by a guy paid per job whom you will never see again.

Go to their dealer location service: https://www.hughesnet.com

Then do some research, or get references.

Tom@CountrySideNet.com
« Last Edit: Nov 17th, 2014 at 10:13am by Admin1 »  

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Dec 5th, 2008 at 5:25am  
Thank you for the feedbacks. Your feedback help me to learn more about this service with higher level of comfort.

I live in California and this shopping is actually for my parents who live in Iowa. Based on your feedback I talked to InfoDish.com's sales manager, Mr. Adam Zeffer about my concern.

He gave me one of their clients who live in Iowa. This guy ordered HughesNet through this website and got installed/activated.

He even gave me an email address (I don't want phone number, god knows who is answering my call) to email the rep at HughesNet about their reseller status. Per my understanding that **** has been with HughesNet for some years (forgot the exact # of year...may be 5 or 7 years..). Further, I was told that HughesNet is the one who in charge all installation.  

Honestly, I prefer to have somebody that appointed by HughesNet to install the system for my parents instead of that somebody says he will sell me and install for my parents.
« Last Edit: Nov 17th, 2014 at 10:12am by Admin1 »  

IP Logged

Eric Johnston
★★★

Reply #5 - Dec 5th, 2008 at 8:43am  
In the US it is normal for VSAT installers to have some qualification/certification by a service provider.   This is not the case elsewhere, such as in Europe, Middle East, Africa where customer self installation and self training is encouraged to keep costs down and particularly to increase satcom and IT skills amongst the local people.  This web site helps encourage self installers and those that are learning.  Just email in these forums with any problem and you will get help and assistance.  

Best regards, Eric.
« Last Edit: Nov 17th, 2014 at 10:13am by Admin1 »  

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #6 - Dec 5th, 2008 at 1:47pm  
Quote:
I talked to InfoDish.com's sales manager, Mr. Adam Zeffer about my concern.
Whereas Mr Zeffer probably didn't tell you any outright lies, he's still a salesman. As such, he purposefully slanted the explanation to his advantage. The advice you received earlier in this thread - is still valid. InfoDish will take your money, then give the job to someone else - who will disappear into the night once the homeowner signs off on the job. Any subsequent problems in Iowa will have to be worked out with InfoDish in California, who - by then - no longer has any vested interest.

If HughesNet is your provider of choice, find a HughesNet dealer/installer in IOWA. Deal with them, so your folks have local support to turn to in time of need.

//greg//

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

HVYMTL
★★★

Reply #7 - Dec 11th, 2008 at 4:27am  
It's always a good idea to research support before a purchase of any product.
We sell & install and advise all our customers to call us 1st for the proper support contact assistance.
We have been approached more then a few times this year by local residents, not served by their dealer/installers from the HN & WB markets.
They were all sold a system by a non local sales office, and installers came from?
  Analogy-Why buy a car from a traveling salesmen?

Tom@CountrySidenet.com
Hughesnet iDirect WB & other vsat

IP Logged

Pages: 1