Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

iDirect 3100 Router Bandwidth Usage and QOS issues

(Read 4906 times)
firefighteriraq
★★

Jan 6th, 2009 at 6:44pm  
I am managing a IDirect 3100 system in Iraq. I am running 4096DOWNx768UP on the system and have 55 users on wireless routers. I would like to be able to manage the bandwidth better. I have access to the router using a serial cable but have been unable to get the Isite software to work correctly. I know the router is capable of QOS functions. If possible can I set the QOS for each IP on my system to better manage the bandwidth and if so can I change the settings for that myself or is it something the provider has to do. I am using TS2 which is a Polish company for my service. I have 24 port switch hooked up to the 3100 and then 7 wireless routers hooked up to that switch. Any help on this issue would be great. Thanks in advance.

JJ
« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2009 at 6:11pm by Admin1 »  

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #1 - Jan 7th, 2009 at 12:15pm  
Most Satellite ISPs apply QoS (GQoS policies) to entire networks, thus dissecting the network into several classes of service (Platinum, Gold, Silver, etc).   You may or may not be part of such a plan/policy.  I recommend you contact your ISP for ground truth.   

IP Logged

Maxim Usatov
★★★

Czech Republic
Reply #2 - Jan 7th, 2009 at 8:26pm  
Hi JJ,

If you're talking about local network bandwidth management, try BusinessCom TES:

https://www.bctes.com

It's free for networks up to 30 PCs, however you have to purchase a license for some of it's proprietary functionality for larger networks. You can test drive the freeware version on some subdivision of your local network and see if it works for you. TES has plenty of bandwidth management tools such as bandwidth shaper, QoS, throttle engine, L7 firewall, Network Intrustion Detection System and more. It also supports satellite links. An important feature of TES is that it can be set up on almost any Intel-based PC, so you don't even need to purchase the hardware part. BusinessCom supplies a redundant HP manufactured server with RAID mirroring, however this is really not obligatory to spend your cash on.

Ask any questions you like - I'm glad to help.

IP Logged

pgannon
★★★

Reply #3 - Jan 7th, 2009 at 9:01pm  
JJ,

The iDirect QoS features are set by the network operator at the Hub and downloaded to the remote modem.  In order to work properly you really need the QoS to be configured in both directions and to be set up at the hub (before traffic goes across the VSAT link on the download) and at the remote (before traffic goes across the VSAT link on the upload). 

Many network operators (probably most) do not offer customized QoS on a per site basis, although this is possible and is offered by select providers. 

Note that the QoS in the iDirect solution is based on stateless packet inspection.  In other words it can only prioritize/de-prioritize "known" ports, IPs, & protocols. 

More advanced bandwidth management solutions such as that mentioned by Mr. Usatov often provide SPI or stateless packet inspection.  This provides much more control for applications such as Peer-to-Peer that hop ports or set up port connections on the fly.  iDirect's QoS cannot manage unknown ports.  However the iDirect QoS when properly configured is great for managing VoIP traffic or giving browsers priority over webcams and similar functions. 

If your network operator is unwilling (or unable as is often the case) to customize QoS for you, then your only solution is a separate standalone solution (or a new provider!).   

Pat Gannon
Business Satellite Solutions, LLC

IP Logged

Eric Johnston
★★★

Reply #4 - Jan 9th, 2009 at 4:15pm  
I've just written a page about traffic management at a VSAT site using the BusinessCom TES1000 system.

The system needs a dedicated PC with two fast ethernet ports.  One port goes to your iDirect router, the other goes to your LAN switch or router.  You can either buy the PC ready loaded with the TES software of use a PC chassis of your own (The BusinessCom TES1000 software download is free and works for up to 30 PCs in your LAN).

I would be interested in any feedback from people who try this system.

Best regards, Eric.
« Last Edit: Feb 18th, 2015 at 10:51pm by Admin1 »  

IP Logged

Bizhar_Omar
★★

Reply #5 - Jan 13th, 2009 at 5:00pm  
As far as I understand you are trying to manage your local network QoS so it is irrelevant with the ISP. You can simply use routers or a PC server between the iDirect modem and your network (your users) and thus applying the configuration and setting the bandwidth you like for each group, IP or PC. There are many types of routers doing that from cheap ones to more advanced, you can use Cisco for a good handling of traffic usage.

Bizhar Omar&&Director of Public Relations&&+9647701449438&&http://www.meeral.net
IP Logged

Pages: 1