Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

North America Travel For Work Question.

(Read 4101 times)
Jsty093083
★★

Apr 4th, 2009 at 2:35am  
Hey All,

Had a couple of questions for you since this seems to be the place for people that know alot more than I do about satellite stuff. 

I travel for work all over the US.  I also enjoy playing online games such as World Of Warcraft and other games.  Currently im using an At&t wirless card on their 3g network.  My concern is when i move to my next job it may not be a 3g area.  So I have been thinking about satellite service instead.

I had heard that its rated speed is good, but you will almost never see this speed?  Is this true. 

But mainly my concern is that I want to be able to set it up every time by myself instead of calling an installer every time I move.  Preferably without spending $1500+ on an autotracking dish.  I have not seen any way to do this.  Im fairly computer smart, I travel with my desktop that I built and I have a satellite TV through Dish Network that I setup on my own.  I guess what im asking is, are there any programs out there that I can install on my computer that will aid me in setting up the net on my own with minimal issues.  And in your opinion will the speed be a problem with playing "Fast Pace" online games? 

Any input would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Jared Stymiest

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #1 - Apr 4th, 2009 at 5:08am  
If you're a gamer, you likely know about the effects of latency. Two way systems have a lot of lag. HughesNet averages ~800ms, Wildblue is much worse at ~1400 or so. One way satellite systems like SkyWay are about 25-33% better. But they're useless without a phoneline. If this alone doesn't take satellite internet off your shopping list, I can help you explore options from there.

//greg//

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

Jsty093083
★★

Reply #2 - Apr 5th, 2009 at 10:15pm  
Ya that takes it off my list for sure.  I appreciate your reply Smiley

I know this is a satellite website but do you know anything about the antennas that would plug in to my wireless AT&T card.  If they work or not and so on.  They range around $75 to $100 or so.  Again I know it's a satellite site but you all seem so knowledgable I figured I would ask. 

Thanks again.

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #3 - Apr 5th, 2009 at 10:26pm  
Sorry, I unfortunately live in a "wireless-free zone". And it looks like it's going to stay that way in the foreseeable future. So I'm pretty much a satellite guy. But there's a wireless section of this forum. You might want to present that question here: https://www.satsig.net/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=802

//greg//

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

Pages: 1