Advertisment: Broadband via satellite
Advertisment: Worldwide satellite services from Ground Control Company

www.satsig.net

Satellite Internet Forum.

Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

what could happen if i use others option file??

(Read 2766 times)
Ex Member
Ex Member

May 20th, 2009 at 3:03pm  
hii guys

if i upload an option file of my friend modem which is in service to my modem ??!!!!

does i got net connectivity
and if that happen what is happen in isp side does they suspect that there is tow modem with the same option file

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #1 - May 20th, 2009 at 10:53pm  
Wont work.

The options file contains a serial number and derived ID (DID).  Your serial number and DID differs from his, as well as your LAN and MGMT interfaces. 

Not a good idea.

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #2 - May 21st, 2009 at 9:45pm  
the option file can be edited so i can change the sn to my modem sn & did also & any thing i like to match my modem information is that right

IP Logged

Scout
★★★

Reply #3 - May 22nd, 2009 at 1:15pm  
OK, so you cannot just take an options file and load it into your modem changing the DID and Serial numbers. 
The main issue.....the hub must have your modem configured at the NMS and PP level for your system to be able to communicate, for this to be the case, you have to have IP addresses assigned by the hub operator.

sorry, there is no short way to get on a network and operational without the hub operator knowing.  if the hub operator is aware then ask them to send you the options file.  using the options file from one modem to another is a sure fire way to get things wrong and strand a modem.

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #4 - May 22nd, 2009 at 3:47pm  
THE MODEM I WILL USE IT'S OPTION FILE IS ALREADY IN SERVICE  SO IT IS CONFIGURED  AT HUB SIDE

THE POINT IS IF THERE IS TWO MODEMS WITH THE SAME OPTION FILE ??

MAY THEY WORK WITHOUT PROBLEM TOGETHER?

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #5 - May 22nd, 2009 at 6:10pm  
Your modem and your "friends" modem are both populated in the NMS database.  They BOTH have assigned eth0 and Sat0 interfaces....those interfaces are specifically assigned to the serial number and DID of your respective modems.  

If you attempt to put the opt in your modem, the board will reject it because the serial number on your opt does not match that of the board (of the other modem).    

Even if your were to (hypothetically) load your friends opt (by using a DID calc) into your box by changing the SN and DID, it will still conflict with the hub because your friends Eth0 and Sat0 inteffaces are not the same as yours.  It wont work without hub intervention.  

Serial Numbers and Interfaces will need to match those populated in the hub.  You run the risk of stranding yourself if you dont talk with them.

I cant believe I am even discuss this.  Why not just call the hub?  
« Last Edit: May 23rd, 2009 at 12:03am by N/A »  

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #6 - May 22nd, 2009 at 10:28pm  
Quote:
Your modem and your "friends" modem are both populated in the NMS database.  They BOTH have assigned eth0 and Sat0 interfaces....those interfaces are specifically assigned to the serial number and DID of your respective modems.  

If you attempt to put the opt in your modem, the board will reject it because the serial number on your opt does not match that of the board (of the other modem).    

Even if your were to (hypothetically) load your friends opt into your box by changing the SN and DID (with a DID calc), it will still conflict with the hub because your friends Eth0 and Sat0 inteffaces are not the same as yours.  It wont work without hub intervention.  Serial Numbers and Interfaces will need to match those populated in the hub.  You run the risk of stranding yourself if you dont talk with them.

I cant believe I am even discuss this.  Why not just call the hub?  

Thank you & i hope didn't bother you & all guys  respond to my question my  point is to learn even simply how these stuff works

thank you
« Last Edit: May 23rd, 2009 at 12:04am by N/A »  

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #7 - May 23rd, 2009 at 12:02am  
You are not bothering me, I am here to help.  I am just trying to understand the "Why" part.  Why not just orchestrate the swap with the hub.  That is the path of least resistance.  Unless this entire question was a hypothetical scenario?  

IP Logged

Pages: 1