Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

VLAN what it used for in iDirect?

(Read 4358 times)
lnuxxunl
★★

Jul 10th, 2009 at 8:43pm  
hii guys

i need to understand what is vlan used for in iDirect modem and how to configure it?

Thank you

IP Logged

pgannon
★★★

Reply #1 - Jul 10th, 2009 at 10:43pm  
A VLAN or Virtual LAN is a set of sites that belong to the same routing domain.

In other words, let's say you're a bank with 15 remote sites.  You want to transfer data between your branches privately, so the NOC creates a VLAN that essentially isolates your sites such that they can communicate with each other, but they are cut off from access by other sites.   

VLANs might also be used to provide support for multiple organizations within a site, such that you have an Engineering VLAN, an Administrative VLAN, an Operations VLAN, etc. for various organizations within the company.  That way people in the same organization at different sites are all sitting on the same "virtual" LAN - as though they were all behind the same router.

Using QoS, you can assign available bandwidth based on the specific VLAN and it's requirements. 

Of course, if there is public Internet access granted to the remote sites, then privacy and security are limited.  If the sites are not given Internet access, then basically they can only communicate with themselves and perhaps some data center site that might be connected to the teleport by terrestrial circuit or encrypted VPN.

Sorry, they don't let me touch the management keyboard!   I'm sure there are others who can tell you how to configure it in iBuilder.

Pat Gannon
Business Satellite Solutions, LLC
www.bsatellite.com

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #2 - May 12th, 2010 at 2:05pm  
thanx for informaion "pgannon"..
« Last Edit: May 14th, 2010 at 10:00am by Admin1 »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1