Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

issues with my satellite meter

(Read 6368 times)
Ex Member
Ex Member

Aug 10th, 2009 at 12:27am  
Dear all

Im using a High Quality Dual Digital Satellite Meter made by Nikkai (Maplin). each time i connect my Rf cable terminated on any LNB, it keeps showing "over current". this problem started a couple of days after purchase. Please can anyone help me on how to overcome this anoying problem.also i need more infomation from someone that is familiar with this meter on our to maximize its facilities. can i use it to track a particular frequency with the aid of an IDU through the receiver terminal or is it meant for an alternative power supply for the unit. the Manual is not helpful !!!

Regards,

Delson

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #1 - Aug 10th, 2009 at 11:34am  
Dear all

Pls guys im counting on you i need help as soon as ever. Eric are you around pls don't tell me you are on vacation. im waiting............. thanks in advance.

Regards,
Delson

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #2 - Aug 10th, 2009 at 1:33pm  
Might be helpful to change batteries before proceeding. That in itself could fix the problem. If not, use a multimeter to determine if your cable is carrying a 13v or 18v signal. Use the result to set the appropriate voltage position on the meter. Note that the meter instructions specify to change voltage settings with the cable disconnected.

If meter voltage selection is not the problem, switch the multimeter to check the actual DC amperage on the cable. Put one test probe on the RX cable center conductor, the other in the center hole of the threaded LNB connector.  You didn't specify your LNB type, but those with which I'm familiar typically draw well under 0.5a (500ma). If you find more than 0.6 amp (600ma), the problem is not the meter. It's simply protecting itself from a higher than anticipated current on the cable. If you find less, return the meter to the seller.

//greg//

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Aug 10th, 2009 at 3:05pm  
Thanks a bunch, i'll do as you said. step by step.

Regards
Delson

IP Logged

Pages: 1