Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

HX50 Setup Problems In Iraq

(Read 3659 times)
toysoldier
★★

Sep 5th, 2009 at 9:27pm  
I too have setup a HX50 system we purchased from another here in Iraq., using Bentley Walker as the ISP and we used a Satellite Meter we are pointed at W3A. 
I have yet to be able to get my system locked in regardless of what I have tried to do. The system worked great for the previous owner using the same company and satellite, and we have only moved the unit approximately 1/2 mile. 

My Settings are as followed:
LAT: 33 deg 51.3 North
LONG: 44 deg 24.6 East
EL: 34.5
AZ: 230.4
POL: 42.5
Symbol Rate: 13000000
Freq: 11272

I have noted that the there was a change in the symbol rate as it is now 12000000, which when I input this into my system it will not stick, as I have confirmed this using telnet.
I do not know how to reset our modem back to factory, and have ran out of ideas on how to get this all running for us.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
woodycr@sbcglobal.net

IP Logged

Eric Johnston
★★★

Reply #1 - Sep 5th, 2009 at 10:38pm  
I agree, it is a puzzle.

I suggest you get in touch with BW and get full new instructions.  Tell them the site ID, serial number of modem and LNB model number so there are no misunderstandings. Ask them what satellite you should point at and what receive polarisation to use.

What signal power are you seeing on the HX status screen ?  If it is maxed out at 29 you are pointed at some strong signal.  Could be wrong satellite, wrong polarisation or wrong configuration.  Have you changed anything in the configuration ? (except for 13000000 to 12000000 for symbol rate).   LNB type should be "Pure".

Once the signal goes above 29 you are on the correct satellite and the wanted carrier is recognised.  Peak up to the best figure (e.g. 95).

Did you see the antenna as previously installed ?  The rear end of the feed support arm will have been to the lower left side, as seen from behind the dish, to set the +42.5 deg polarisation adjustment ? It is conceiveable that you have the polarisation the other way just while you were using the satmeter to recognise a carrier on the opposite polarisation.  I don't know.  If in doubt send me several pictures of the antenna to eric@satsig.net

If you get a steady or no signal reading on the HX status screen all of the time, then maybe a cable connector is faulty, not screwed in properly or cables crossed over.

The telnet command for reset to factory default is rf but you should only need to do this if the parameters are stuck and you are, for example, unable to store the new 12000000 symbol rate.  Seek BW approval before trying the rf command.

Best regards, Eric
« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2009 at 8:29am by Eric Johnston »  

IP Logged

toysoldier
★★

Reply #2 - Sep 9th, 2009 at 8:03am  
Thank you so much!  As of right now I am online using our new system. Turned out to be two issues: One was a cable got damaged, and the other was the modem was "stuck" using old parameters. Using the RF command, it worked like a charm.

I know this may not be the right Forum for this but here goes:
Now my issue is I have 13 assigned IP addresses from my ISP, and have 20 people in my group all sharing the bill to keep costs down. My group is split up amongst several buildings. How can I have all 20 computers share this internet connection? Speed is not an issue as we all work different shifts. I initially thought that by using the hubs (that I now realize are switches) that when a PC gets shut down that would open up its IP address for others to use. I am finding however that although I can "see" them on the network, I have users that can not connect to the internet now that we are all plugged into the network.

I have the following equipment in my aresenal:
All 20 computers are running Windows Vista or XP SP2
My Laptop is Running Vista, with Cisco's Network Magic Pro installed
ISP: Bentley Walker Satellite
MODEM: Bentley Walker HX50
Three SMC EZ Switches with 16 Ports on each
One LinkSys 4 port Router with Wireless G
One NetGear 4 port Router
I also have enough CAT5 to re-wire my entire network

My Group is split up into seperate rooms in spereate buildings as so:
BLDG 1: 2 users in 2 seperated rooms
BLDG 2: 9 users in 6 seperated rooms - I myself am located in this building with the Modem
BLDG 3: 6 Users in 4 seperated rooms
BLDG 4: 3 Users in 2 seperated rooms - This BLDG may be suitable for Wifi as most of the space is one large room, and may have more users signed on later.

Currently I have this set up:
Modem in BLDG 2 connected to Switch(1)
Switch(1) connected to all PC's in BLDG's 1 & 2
CAT5 connects Switch(1) in BLDG 2 to Switch(2) in BLDG 3
Switch(2) connected to PC's in BLDG 3
Switch(2) connected to NetGear Router in BLDG 4

This setup may seem overly complicated I know, but we are learning as we go along. I have looked up other forums on SUBNETTING but it really looked a bit Greek to me even though I am somewhat of a Geek.

At this point I am thinking of purchasing another Router to setup in BLDG 3, and resetting the whole system in hopes that a router in each building connected to each switch may do the job.

IP Logged

Eric Johnston
★★★

Reply #3 - Sep 11th, 2009 at 3:19pm  
I have called Bentley Walker on your behalf and they are now aware of your posting above and can advise you directly.

As a matter of my general advice for connecting up multiple IP devices to a VSAT terminal ...

If you have 1, 5, 13 or 29 useable IP addresses allocated to you by your service provider you may connect as many such devices locally, using switches or hubs.

Alternatively, you may have a router.  In this case you only need 1 IP address from your service provider and you use your router to create as many local private IP addresses as you want.

Mixed system examples might comprise:

VSAT modem with 5 useable IP addresses.
Switch to allow 5 routers to be connected.
5 routers, one in each building.
As many PCs as you want in each building.

VSAT modem with 1 useable address.
1 router to allow as many PCs as you want.
Switch to allow 5 further switches or hubs to be connected.
5 switches or hubs, one in each building.
As many PCs as there are switch or hub ports.

Conceptually it is helpful to think of a router as a two port device: one port goes up to the internet, the other port goes down to the local LAN. You configure the router to give out as many local private IP addresses as you want.  

Many inexpensive routers also contain, in the same box, a LAN switch and wireless hub so you see multiple ethernet LAN ports on the back and an 802.x wireless antenna on top.

Best regards, Eric.
« Last Edit: Sep 11th, 2009 at 10:18pm by Admin1 »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1