Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

.93m Elliptical Dish with iDirect

(Read 2064 times)
wbailey
★★★

Sep 11th, 2009 at 11:02pm  
All,

Has anyone made plans to purchase an XLC-M to use the new 2D-16State FEC iDirect is putting out? I have an X3 that I intend on putting on a .93M dish with a 2 or 4 watt Ku BUC to test throughput and connectivity.

Just wondering if anyone else has made plans to do this, or have already done this.

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #1 - Sep 12th, 2009 at 4:28pm  
W,

Definitely following along with that.  I am guessing that card wont be physically available for a few months (they may surprise me and make it available immediately, but I doubt it).  Hunch: 4-6 months ARO.

Honestly, I like what I am seeing, but plan to sit back with a bag of popcorn and watch things unfold....i.e. let things mature up (to prevent the pains of software patches, RMAs, etc).  Case in point: The first gen eM1D1s had inadequate heat sink and were overheating when slotted in the IF Grp A.  This is an example of how I am going to let things mature before leaping in. If you pull the trigger and leap into this testing, I would be very interested in your assessment/observations.

IP Logged

wbailey
★★★

Reply #2 - Sep 13th, 2009 at 4:05am  
I'm pulling the trigger on 4 of them next week. They will be DELIVERED - in 3 weeks.

I'm also getting 2 of the xlc 10's for a new dvbs2 network on my ku facilities. I've already colocated my NMS and PP's (geographically about 30 miles) which is working just fine (we have our own private fiber network) and I intend on doing this with our Ku facility. I am a little nervous about these line cards being problematic, but I do have a good amount of faith in the "new" idirect and the way they are doing things. Worst case, I'll slap in my old m0d1's and go from there.

On another note, did you guys actually get the em1d1? I thought it sounded like a complete ripoff. At the price they quoted me, I could put an xlc and m1d1 and put up two carriers LOL. Just didn't jive with me.. I think we need to have a west coast meeting between hub owners (apart from idirect) once or twice a year so we can all align on how we're going to approach them on new features. I really think we could get a whole lot more done in a shorter amount of time if we (larger customers etc) got together and said - This is what we want.

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Sep 14th, 2009 at 12:05pm  
Sent you a PM.  Glad to hear you guys are paving the way with regards to the next gen platforms.  I will be following along with your efforts if you decide to report any findings in this forum.

M

IP Logged

Pages: 1