Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

No Tx Lock

(Read 5112 times)
Blah
★★

Sep 23rd, 2009 at 7:51pm  
Hi guys!

We are seeing an issue where our Motosat will search out the satellite, find the sat and crosspol, but will not give a Tx lock.

We are using 5100 Modems.  Rx locks fine (Solid Green) however Tx and net flash.  All lights on the back of the modem are green.

If we push a reset through iMonitor or iBuilder, or physically pull the power on the modem, once it finishes rebooting, Rx and Tx lock just fine, and it comes into the network right away.

Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks in advance for your help.

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #1 - Sep 23rd, 2009 at 10:11pm  
Seen this a few times in the past.  

Need to ask you a few questions first:

1.  How is this unit getting its lat/long for its frame start delay?   GPS fed?  Hardcoded in the options file?
2.  If it IS GPS fed, how is it being fed?  On console or via telnet?

If I had to make an on-the-spot assessment, I would say that Console on the iDirect or the GPS iteself is hanging up on that unit (possibly the port).  Hence the reason a reboot fixes it (the unit goes thru redboot, and a falcon load).  For what it is worth, when ours exhibited the same symptoms, a reboot fixed them as well. 

Is this a Datastorm unit?  
« Last Edit: Sep 24th, 2009 at 11:45am by N/A »  

IP Logged

DonB
★★

Reply #2 - Sep 23rd, 2009 at 11:52pm  
Some starting-point Datastorm questions:

Which controller?
Which version of controller firmware?
Is the configuration setup as iDirect, or as Generic?
Are there any messages in the TX and RX status lines when you access the controller?
Is iDirectGPS enabled in the controller?

The latter is not available on old firmware, and is read via telnet and the idirectgps command (all lower case)

Datastorms: XF3 Ethersat iDirect 105W/121W | G74 Hughes 83/1410

IP Logged

Blah
★★

Reply #3 - Sep 24th, 2009 at 4:25pm  
Thanks for the replies guys - here's the answers to your questions (as best I can)

Lat/Long is fed from a GPS on the dish (Motosat F3)

Yes it is a Datastorm.
D3 controller ver. 3.9.6A
Configuration set up as iDirect
the Message in the Tx box flips between "Transmitter Disabled" and "Transmitter Available for Normal Operation"
yes, iDirect is enabled in the controller.

I thought we changed the GPS unit on that dish, but I might try changing it again.

IP Logged

DonB
★★

Reply #4 - Sep 24th, 2009 at 8:39pm  
There have been major changes in the D3 firmware through the alphabet soup that is 3.9.6.

Biggest changes (in my opinion, for the better) occurred at 3.9.6L, and the current is 3.9.6T.

A change in the way that Lat/Long was sent to iDirect modems occurred at 3.9.6H

So, before assuming anything else, I would strongly suggest a firmware upgrade!

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Sep 25th, 2009 at 1:35am  
Thanks for engaging Don, I appreciate it.  I knew you would have some sort of starting point/azimuth for this user.Smiley

IP Logged

DonB
★★

Reply #6 - Sep 25th, 2009 at 5:19am  
Glad to help, Mike, although we don't know yet that we have a solution!

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Sep 25th, 2009 at 11:59am  
True, but I know you or Bill are the appropriate authorities to answer this gentleman's questions as you have vast experience with these Datastorm systems (specifically the mobile controllers).  Have a good weekend...

M

IP Logged

DonB
★★

Reply #8 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 1:56am  
Mike, I don't know if you saw the stuff over at my place about iDirect passwords today. It is something to keep in mind - if the iDirect modem does not use a common password the controller will not be able to send GPS to the modem.

The controller can be told about the changed password, although I don't think I should publicly post the procedure.

That will have to be part of the diagnostic process for problems like this, where there is no TX Lock.

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 2:04pm  
Got it. 

Do you think that could be the reason why it is hanging up?  Wonder why the unit comes up after a full reboot (full reboot being - redboot and falcon, on the iDirect unit).

M

IP Logged

DonB
★★

Reply #10 - Sep 27th, 2009 at 12:47am  
In this case the password has to be correct, or the controller would show a -25 error in the modem RX and TX status lines. As to why the reboot works I don't know. The OP hasn't stayed with the conversation much, so we don't know how it is going with him.

IP Logged

Pages: 1