Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

External QoS for iDirect network

(Read 6259 times)
Agor
★★

Sep 25th, 2009 at 11:50am  
Did anyone explore the option of using external QoS (Packeteer/Allot, etc.) for iDirect network?
Is it possible at all?

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #1 - Sep 25th, 2009 at 11:57am  
I think you will be challenged in doing so (running QoS externally and letting letting everything go DEFAULT queue on the iDirect).  Is that what you are saying?

You need to keep in mind that the iDirect is the only thing that really knows the available BW on the link at any given time.  Hence, Deterministic TDMA.  You are going to need some traffic profiles on the iDirect to take care of the basics, for TCP (http, ftp, etc) and UDP (RTP's, etc).

M

IP Logged

jdavis
★★

Reply #2 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 12:42am  
We are using the Allot NetEnforcer. Keep in mind that no packet shaping is happening on the inbound side until the packets have already traversed the satellite link. Whether the link is TDMA or SCPC the remote side should have a similar device matching the hub side settings to see a real benefit. It does work well for creating a kind of group QOS on the downstream side if you are not using iDS version 8.X

The biggest benefit is being able to tell the end user something like; "There is x amount of bittorrent, gnutella, rapidshare, etc.. traffic" rather than only being able to say that the link is maxed out with TCP or UDP traffic.

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 2:09pm  
In my opinion, such method sounds risky.... I say that because the only queue being used on the iDirect would be the Default queue.  I would think in the environment that you describe, one remote could have an advantage over another remotes.  Specifically in the D-TDMA environment where SADA and SANA are responsible for up and downstream BW allocation - SADA particularly.

IP Logged

jdavis
★★

Reply #4 - Oct 3rd, 2009 at 5:03pm  
I agree...It is definitely not the ideal way to do things. It is very possible that I have no idea what I am doing, but I have been using iDirect since 2005 . from version 5 to 7 I have never been happy with the way bandwidth is allocated.

However we have a client who wanted wanted to limit the downstream bandwidth during peak hours for all sites on the network while they ramped up to a 10:1 contention ratio. Not having group QOS we offered using the bandwidth manager as a solution. We have matched the traffic profiles between the Allot and iDirect as closely as possible and so far it has worked as expected and the customer is happy.

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Oct 3rd, 2009 at 5:22pm  
I see...

IP Logged

Adrian
★★

Reply #6 - Oct 5th, 2009 at 8:49am  
Hello,
If you have iDirect software 7.0 I think it is possible to activate the Dynamic CIR (more information at Release 7.0 Technical Refernce Guide) and set triggered CIR for all services terminal like in Chapter 8 section Adding a service level (iDirect user manual).
First you enable CIR for each terminal at a value equal with total downstream bandwidth divided at the total number terminal in the network.
In this way, when the traffic is undersubscribed the traffic will working  default,  otherwise when the traffic is congested, this will be guarantee by dynamic CIR set for the each terminal.
I don't know , maybe theoreticall will work , in practice must be tested.
Regards,
Adrian

IP Logged

Scout
★★★

Reply #7 - Oct 6th, 2009 at 1:32pm  
Quote:
Did anyone explore the option of using external QoS (Packeteer/Allot, etc.) for iDirect network?
Is it possible at all?

Answer: yes it's possible.  Buuutttt..... and there is always a but.  depending on what you are trying to do, depending on what SW version iDirect you have and depending on your knowledge of both the iDirect platform and the external QoS device, it could be damaging to the overall performance of the system, costly (without need given the iDirect QoS engine these days), difficult to maintain and build. 
yes people use it on older versions of iDirect's platform, but I really would have to think long and hard about attempting to do this with their new systems, I just don't see a need given the ability they now have.
my $.02 anyway.......

IP Logged

iDirectServices74
★★

Reply #8 - Oct 11th, 2009 at 11:46pm  
Quote:
Is it possible at all?

We use the Allot NetEnforcer, and I like the fact that we can tell our clients what protocols are being used, and what each host/IP is using on their link as well as being able to block certain protocols (for ex P2P blocking/etc).  You can't do that with iDirect services (version 7.1.1). 

Comparing the throughput usage between iMonitor and the Allot, there isn't much, if any, difference between the two.

IP Logged

wbailey
★★★

Reply #9 - Oct 17th, 2009 at 4:03am  
Just out of curiousity, why are you not running ids 8.0+? Also, I have idx 2.0 running on my ku network (new dvbs2) and it has a new option for Group QoS:

"Allocation Fairness Relative to Bandwidth CIR"

May be of interest to you?

IP Logged

Pages: 1