Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

Ku-Band KIT

(Read 1457 times)
n1ghtwalk3r
★★

Oct 15th, 2009 at 3:06pm  
I have a idirect 3000 series modem NB 1.2 Meter Dish and a ku-band 3wat buc with lnb and feed i am situated in malawi i bought connection of 50 kbps from mweb which they were unable to provide i was getting 6kbps instead i asked few companys if they could provide 128kbps or 256kbps dedicated they agreed but they said that it would have a 10% loss also after the 10% loss i want to pump the bandwith in a wifi network of 2.4ghz they say i will loose onther 20 % so that would liv me with 80 kbps dedicated speed i want to share my speed with 10 computers of my own all only internet browsing and msn only one will have peer-to-peeer download permison ofcurse others will b allowed ftp i want atlist each computer to recive 20kbps can any one suggest me what to do with this metter as the all say that it is not good to share bandwith with ku-band now i have setup all just need a solid link to make the network work?
« Last Edit: Oct 16th, 2009 at 11:04pm by Admin1 »  

IP Logged

Eric Johnston
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Reply #1 - Oct 15th, 2009 at 9:41pm  
Quote:
they all say that it is not good to share bandwith with ku-band

If your service C band or Ku band, this is not relevant to whether or not it is a good idea to share bandwidth.

If you have many PCs then dedicated bandwidth can be most acceptable.   The upper bit rate will be limited due to cost (e.g. $70 per month per 10kbit/s) but the bandwidth will be all yours and any congestion will be under your local control.

If you just one or two PCs then shared bandwidth is normally preferred.   You may have quite high "up to" bit rate (e.g. 1 Mbit/s) but it will only be available occasionally as many other sites share your satellite capacity.  Congestion outside your control is the problem.  A fair access policy (FAP) is a good idea; it is intended to make sure you get an amount of downloads (Mbytes) proportional to your payment.  Shared systems require considerable skill at the hub to assure satisfactory service to all and the high cost of the hub and staff makes it tempting for a service provider to sell the same capacity too many times over, causing congestion.  

If you buy dedicated capacity in an iDirect system from MWEB they need to configure the hub accordingly to guarantee you the specified rates each way (e.g. 50kbit/s down and 10kbit/s up).   This will be done by allocating you specific time slots on your TDMA uplink direction and a dedicated share of the downlink carrier.  If you don't get the agreed dedicated bit rates they have not yet configured it correctly.

Other multi-customer TDMA systems (LinkStar, Hughes HX etc) may also be configured to provide dedicated capacity, but it is unusual to do so and need special skill of the staff at the hub to configure.

Dedicated capacity is more often provided using SCPC modems (e.g. CDM570L) both ways as this avoids the cost and complexity of the VSAT hub and it is simple to understand, implement and maintain.

The estimate of 10% loss due to packet header overheads on the satellite connection is plausible.  Your private LAN operates at several Mbit/s so any overhead loss there is of no significance.

To manage your traffic locally you need a PC or managed router, rather like an internet cafe.  There are commercial programs to do this and also some free software, but I can offer no advice on this local traffic management.

Best regards, Eric.
« Last Edit: Oct 16th, 2009 at 8:32pm by Eric Johnston »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1