Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

Frequent Timing Out On Link

(Read 2431 times)
ola
★★

Nov 6th, 2009 at 1:26pm  
Hi All,
I have two Ku sites on a service provider. Sometimes,the link will just start timing out (when we ping a site for test) and become slower;even when we are not doing anything too serious on the link.However,if we reboot our router,the ping will start replying again for sometime before it starts timing out again. Please help,I want to know if this is a local problem or its from the service provider.The modem is Linkstar.

IP Logged

satcom_Frank
★★

Reply #1 - Nov 15th, 2009 at 5:50pm  
I have been having the same problem with Linkway S2 modems.  It seems to just be some sort of logical hangup.  The only solution I have found is to call the ET and have them spam the link or shut/no shut the router port on both ends.  I know this does not help but it is something with them modems as a whole.

IP Logged

MZim
★★

Reply #2 - Nov 27th, 2009 at 10:01pm  
The first thing you need to do is verify the quality of your link. Call your provider to find if your signal quality is nominal and if you have a high error rate. If your connection quality is good, then ask for a graph of your bandwidth usage. Often ping timeouts or DNS timeouts are due to an over utilized connection. Remember, if you don't have any bandwidth left, then what are your pings/DNS requests going to travel over?

Ps.  Constantly pinging a site can actually lower the performance on a connection. ICMP is often given priority by providers and thus your pings will take up valuable browsing bandwidth!

IP Logged

Pages: 1