BW Tester For VSAT

(Read 8337 times)
Core Hub engineer
★★

indonesia
Oct 21st, 2010 at 12:00pm  
Hi all,

longtime no see...
lets to the point, ive got problem testing my VSAT BW using speedtest or some other a like. the problem is with the upload result, but the result will be true when we testing using real trafic by uploading some data to FTP Server.

is there a web out there to test this vsat upload? coz speedtest doesnt show the real BW ...

its realy painfull when ure customer said "MY UPLOAD IS NOT DELIVERED AS WE LEASED !!!!!"

Note : for Download everything is work like a charm...only upload test result problem.

BR
mhr

YIM  
IP Logged

ycaiyuan
★★

Reply #1 - Oct 22nd, 2010 at 4:39am  
mhr,

I experienced the same problem here. Using the famous (or notorious??) speedtest.net, download result is acceptable but upload is disappointing. I dig a bit deeper by doing traffic sniffering in my satellite modem, and I found that most of the online speed/bandwidth tester do not try very hard for upload. They send a few intermittent trunk then rush for the result. For a thin long satellite link if the test is not careful designed then the result is most likely misleading.

So I guess the first thing is you need to persuade your customer the online speed test might not be accurate at all.

There is also alternative website such as https://testmy.net doing a dedicate upload test, where the result achieved is a bit better than speedtest.net, although still not close to my expectation. Wink Note that the interface of this website is not fancy.

caiyuan

IP Logged

Core Hub engineer
★★

indonesia
Reply #2 - Oct 26th, 2010 at 2:46am  
for some customer its just not work out to persuade them Smiley
well i think this is just a technical problem for testing the BW maybe ill keep to use FTP or a kind for the tes. on the contrary  our system is worked properly already.

thanks for ur reply cai...

BR
mhr

YIM  
IP Logged

Pages: 1