Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

KA- Sat and voice over ip

(Read 5916 times)
andreasn
★★

Nov 26th, 2011 at 1:59pm  
Helle everybody,

practising ka sat since september an deeply contended.
Now I am thinking about operating voice over ip, like my provider, skydsl, is offering. Does anybody know about some guidance or manual how to install or operate voip?

Regeards Andreas N from Norther Germany

IP Logged

davidbentleywalker
★★★

Reply #1 - Nov 26th, 2011 at 2:58pm  
Most VoIP providers can supply you an adapter preconfigured, meaning you can literally plug & play.

You can also purchase your own VoIP adapters, such as a Linksys PAP2T adapter, and configure it to a VoIP Providers Network.

One key point for using VoIP over satellite is that you configure the device to solely use Voice Codec 'G729a' which is optimised for use over satellite and uses minimal bandwidth (30kbps/30kbps)

IP Logged

Eric Johnston
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Reply #2 - Nov 26th, 2011 at 4:01pm  
When you configure G729a, experiment with different numbers of frames per packet to try to minimise the bit rate while keeping the delay acceptable.

2 packets per frame is the default for terrestrial transmission, but for satellite, 4 or more, is worth trying.

Find out from Bentley Walker what G729a frames per packet they recommend to best match with the KA-SAT uplink burst mode transmissions.

Best regards, Eric.

IP Logged

europe-satellite.com
★★★

London UK
Reply #3 - Nov 28th, 2011 at 6:37pm  
Quote:
Helle everybody,

practising ka sat since september an deeply contended.
Now I am thinking about operating voice over ip, like my provider, skydsl, is offering. Does anybody know about some guidance or manual how to install or operate voip?

Regeards Andreas N from Norther Germany

Voip via Satellite.

Voip Router and Cordless Phone setup with a cable router and satellite modem.

Voip setup with a cable router and satellite modem.

If you use voip on a satellite system, there will always be a short delay because of the latency.

When using voip via a satellite connection be aware that quality can deteriorate at times due to bandwidth availability on the satellite.

For more info click here.

... If you want us to call you for more info click here for our free call back service.

IP Logged

Pages: 1