Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

Feedback installing and pointing Tooway sat

(Read 7548 times)
Kellogs
★★

May 3rd, 2012 at 9:14am  
Dear all,

Here is a short message about my experience installing a Tooway dish, 80 cm wide.

The Internet provider is SkyDSL with 10000U contract.
But it could be any Tooway provider as I understand SkyDSL is only a reseller.

0. Installation manual

The SkyDSL installation manual is poor. It is printed on two A4 sheets in color. Very minimal for an Internet service provider. There is no reason nowadays to rely on a professional installation service, especially if the dish needs to be pointed after a storm. The best is self-installation.

Some important issues are missing, so I give them here:

1. Base of dish

At first, my base was around 1 degree to straight (by error). When looking for a signal, the dish might derive of an additional 1% because of weight.

This means that if your base is off 1% at the beginning, and 1% with weight, it might derive 1% + 1% = 2%. As a result, you can never achieve good quality if the base is not perfect.

Setting-up a perfect base solved this issue.

2. Pointing
I was quite confused by the notion of elevation and did not know how to measure it on the dish.

On tooway dish, the elevation should be measured on the back of the dish. The problem is that this part of the dish is not perfectly straight but it prooves to be less than 1 degree to reality.

Never use an Andoid or Apple smartphone to mesure elevation or azimuth. The smartphone gives wrong results when in proximity with steel. Which is the case of a sat dish. It took me a while to understand that and as result I lost nearly a DAY.

Hopefully, I could use Eric elevation tool printing on paper and using a simple key. It prooved to save my life!

Thank you Eric for your help!

3. Azimuth

When the tria starts beeping, it becomes a magnet! So it is very hard to use a compass. Finally I used Google and trees for precise pointing.

4. Modem

When the dish is installed with maximum quality, you simply click install, but there are a few issues:

a. After installation, how to know which beam (1 or 3 in my case) you are connected too?
b. How to monitor the quality of the link? I could not find the http interface of the Tria

5. Quality

The quality of the link is just marvelous (at first sight). I could set up a 10Mb downloading line and 2Mb upload. I coupled the sat and DSL (1Mb download and 128kb upload) on my router. KA wave really rock! When looking for a satellite link, I did not understand that this was a really new technology. A lot of old post complain about the quality, but this is for OLD satellites.

We are using a cheap pfSense cheap routeur/firewall based on a PC Engines 2D13 embedded device. Because we sell these devices on my website, I don't know if I am allowed to give you the link to these devices ... But they cost a total of around 120 EUR max and they are really nice. I could establish DUAL WAN, gateway monitoring, fail over DSLtoSat and SatToDSL. Everything works as expected.

One question was the impact of rain. These last days, it was raining in France a lot. During a very heavy rain, quality dropped a few seconds. But yesterday it was raining ALL day long and still I could download at 7Mb.

pfSense allows to fail over to DSL, so I am not worried.

Feel free to ask about the dish pointing if any issues. I will post photos next week-end to explain how to point the dish.

Kind regards,
Jean-Michel
« Last Edit: May 3rd, 2012 at 2:16pm by Kellogs »  

IP Logged

europe-satellite.com
★★★

London UK
Reply #1 - May 3rd, 2012 at 11:12am  

Beside above unit there are many other dual/wan routers on the market, e.g. https://www.draytek.co.uk/index.php (Vigor 3200 / 3200n Quad-WAN Router Firewall).

IP Logged

Pages: 1