Advertisment: Broadband via satellite
Advertisment: Worldwide satellite services from Ground Control Company

www.satsig.net

Satellite Internet Forum.

Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

Anybody using the Tooway 18Mbps+ service?

(Read 8062 times)
fduvall
★★

Aug 23rd, 2012 at 1:38pm  
I am currently living in Spain, using skyDSL Tooway 10+. They do not offer the new 18+ service with (up to) 18Mbps down and 50GB data cap. Seems pretty good but not sure which reseller to go with and would appreciate any advice.
Thanks!

IP Logged

bigdishsat
★★

France
Reply #1 - Aug 24th, 2012 at 10:22pm  
Hello ... I use Tooway 18 from a reseller in the UK. I'm biased ... I am a user of Tooway for my business here in France and I am also a reseller and installer for Tooway Direct in France.

To transfer, you need to get your Tooway modem released from SkyDSL and then it can be allocated to my reseller airtime ... you don't need to buy any new equipment.

Hope that helps ...

====
Edited by forum admin. Note the service is available via independent and independently named resellers only.
« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2020 at 7:07pm by Admin1 »  
IP Logged

fduvall
★★

Reply #2 - Aug 25th, 2012 at 12:07pm  
@bigdishsat - Thanks for the reply. Exactly what I was looking for, as one vendor told me that "since they use the most up to date equipment" that I would have to switch out everything. I was pretty sure that was not true, so thought I would ask some folks here.
I have already switched from skyDSL, to a local spanish Tooway reseller and back to skyDSL as we kept getting in trouble with the FAP. SkyDSL claims an "unlimited" data policy, but thus far it just means that our "up to" speed of 10Mbps is more like 0.5Mbps. So no AppleTV streaming or VOIP/Skype/Vonage.
So with the new 18Mbps 50GB, i think we will be ok and I hope that we can get a stable 3-4Mbps so we can use our VOIP phones.
If anyone has recommendations for a reseller, I am all ears. We are in Spain, but would prefer a company that can speak English.
Cheers!

IP Logged

europe-satellite.com
★★★

London UK
Reply #3 - Aug 25th, 2012 at 1:08pm  
Quote:
If anyone has recommendations for a reseller, I am all ears. We are in Spain, but would prefer a company that can speak English.

You can always contact us, beside us there are a few other resellers on this board and many in the UK. Hylas has a real unlimited service without FAP etc. You pay for a basic service and extra for every GB you use on top of that (keep a good eye on your usage !).

IP Logged

fduvall
★★

Reply #4 - Aug 26th, 2012 at 11:26am  
I don't think it matters so much where my reseller is based in Spain (if they speak English), but we are near Sitges, a bit south of Barcelona. It has been a bit of a challenge to find someone that speaks a bit of English. My spanish is improving, but not so good for technical discussions!

IP Logged

Graeme
★★

Reply #5 - Aug 26th, 2012 at 10:43pm  
Quote:
So with the new 18Mbps 50GB, i think we will be ok and I hope that we can get a stable 3-4Mbps so we can use our VOIP phones.

Do you not think that your existing service should be able to offer a better figure than what you are currently getting. After all, you contracted for something a lot more than that. I'm well aware of the way these guys hide behind the 'up to' bit of their contracts, but that's really taking the Michael and nothing like what they offered, or you expected!!

It seems to me it would be cheaper forget VOIP and use a landline, than pay the additional costs for an unguaranteed speed increase.

I have a 12Mb download link that rarely achieves better than 1/3 of the contracted figure (and the upload is much the same) - but I'm blowed if I'm going to sit here and accept it without an argument.

Quote:

I'm in Spain, but got my system from the UK (Avonlinebroadband) and they off the 18 Mb package. I also did my own installation, which was surprisingly easy to do.

I used to live in Sitges and we had ADSL at the turn of the century, so I'm a little surprised you don't have access as well.
« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2020 at 7:08pm by Admin1 »  

IP Logged

fduvall
★★

Reply #6 - Aug 27th, 2012 at 10:43pm  
We are actually in the hills above Sitges... a village called Plana Novella. Only 5km from Sitges as the crow flies, but far enough that they won't run fiber/cable.

Huge bummer for us... and because we are on the wrong side of the hill, our gsm access is also a bit limited.

IP Logged

Graeme
★★

Reply #7 - Aug 27th, 2012 at 11:13pm  
Aha, that's in the middle of the Garraf. Only went there once and I remember it's certainly rural!! I presume you have no landline, hence the VOIP?

We lived right in Sitges, on the front line, so we were lucky enough to get whatever was on offer. Even so, when I first moved there in 1998, we could only have a dial-up. ADSL didn't arrive until a couple of years after that.

Here, we have ADSL, but the maximum is 3Mb and it's unreasonably expensive. Even with the 1Mb we currently have, the satellite system works out cheaper, much to my surprise.

I still think you should be talking to your existing supplier before even thinking about an upgrade.

At present you're getting  a mere 5% of what you pay for. If the upgrade was at the same percentage, your VOIP would still be pretty useless - and at additional cost.

I'd really be banging my fist on the table if a supplier treated me like that.

IP Logged

LiamH
★★

UK
Reply #8 - Aug 28th, 2012 at 8:57am  
Hi, Interested to know how you get 50GB usage, thought it was 26GB.  Thanks

IP Logged

LiamH
★★

UK
Reply #9 - Aug 28th, 2012 at 9:04am  
Quote:
Hi, Interested to know how you get 50GB usage, thought it was 26GB. Thanks

OoooPs sorry, I see Tooway 18 max is 50GB

IP Logged

dirkovision
★★

BG ,NL, LYB, CY, RS, HU,
Reply #10 - Sep 26th, 2012 at 9:34am  
We are in N.-Iraq on beam 83 of KA-SAT. Excellent speed and fair prices from BW. We are preparing to rolout 10.400 units and looking for / training reseller- engineering crews.
KA-SAT is superb service compared to awful slow and expensive Hylas-2..
On top of that HX90 more complex to install with twin cabling and the OS/NMS of Hughes.

24/7/365 multilingual helpdesk
IP Logged

Pages: 1