Pages: 1

Change circular to linear polarisation

(Read 2417 times)
satnew
★★

May 19th, 2014 at 8:56am  
Hi,

Would anyone kindly provide info.
I have a 13m C-band antenna on a circular feed system. Can I use this antenna on a linear Pole transponder? The satellite transponder does not reuse frequency meaning it is operating on single pole only. Tx hor and RX ver.
Or do i need to convert the antenna to linear feed system?
please help.

tnx
« Last Edit: Jun 8th, 2020 at 9:06pm by Admin1 »  

IP Logged

Eric Johnston
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Reply #1 - May 19th, 2014 at 10:28am  
Subject to permission from the satellite operator you may be allowed to operate circular polarisation. You must ask first and they may well say no. If you do, you will lose half your transmit power, so you will need twice the HPA power compared with linear operation.

On receive, you will degrade the performance substantially as the amount of signal received from the satellite will be halved.

To convert the antenna to linear polarisation may be difficult. Two options are (1) to remove the polariser and replace it with a plain tube or (2) turn the OMT by 45 deg so that the linear polarisations of the tx/rx wave guides lines up with the polariser slots/pins.
Unfortunately, neither of these options may be practical or feasible if you have some complex feed system with separate 4 and 6 GHz polarisers. Very high quality 4/6 GHz feed systems may not be easily 'adaptable'.

Contact the antenna and feed manufacturer for advice.

A brain-storm idea (rather imaginative Roll Eyes ) You might consider using two external 10 MHz reference PLL LNBs and somehow merging the L band outputs, probably resulting is a narrow useable bandwidth.

Yet another idea (simple) added later ! ...

Take out everything behind the circular tube feed horn waveguide flange and replace with a rotatable VSAT OMT. (2 port)

More ideas welcome ....
« Last Edit: Jun 8th, 2020 at 9:05pm by Admin1 »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1