Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

Gilat Service - Constantly On and Off

(Read 3963 times)
imon
★★

Guyana, SA
Aug 18th, 2014 at 2:39pm  
I am having some serious issues with a fairly new Gilat service in my country of Guyana.

Since setting up this service, we have continuously received intermittent service since the link continues to drop packets. Our hub continues to say that our RF connection is good between the two sites.

What the interesting is that it seems to be just TCP traffic that is affected, since we have a VoIP adapter "magicjack" and this works during the outages. Its just webpages and other TCP applications that does not work.

The technicians at the hub says they are working with Gilat on this, since they have no experienced this before and are unsure on what to do.

Did any else have this issue or have any input?

Keeron Stephens&&IMON Wireless Solutions
IP Logged

Oasis Networks
★★★

Reply #1 - Aug 19th, 2014 at 5:36am  
Hi Imon,

How do you see the packets drops?
Do you have some kind of a router, firewall etc that provides you some monitoring of the link? Do you have a caching machine?

Do you have problem with specific web pages? Maybe the problem is at those web addresses and not with your link?

If the Voip working fine and RF parameters are good, I suggest to check other directions but please provide more information.

Good luck
Nimrod

www.oasisnetworks.net - Oasis Networks - Online with you!
IP Logged

imon
★★

Guyana, SA
Reply #2 - Aug 19th, 2014 at 4:29pm  
Hello Nimrod,

We are pinging from the modem to a public server.

We have a caching server, router, firewall. This situation mainly started since we installed this new service. All the devices we have in place were there when we had iDirect as our platform.

We are seeing a webpage not loading, its not specific to any set or few webpages. Even the hub is stating they have no idea what is going on, which is why i decided to look on here to see if anyone else had the same problem.

We use PRTG to monitor the link and the sensors constantly go off and on as the link goes off and on.

IP Logged

Admin1
YaBB Admin
★★★★★

Reply #3 - Aug 19th, 2014 at 5:15pm  
A couple of ideas:

Are the bit rates at both ends of the Ethernet cable set the same ?  Maybe the new Gilat is different from the iDirect. Short breaks might occur if one end decides to auto-negotiate from time to time.

The traffic flow will now be via a new teleport hub and thus a significantly different part of the internet.  Do some of your PCs and devices have fixed DNS server addresses which may now have uncertain connection via the new teleport.

Best regards, Eric

IP Logged

imon
★★

Guyana, SA
Reply #4 - Aug 19th, 2014 at 6:14pm  
Hello,

I will have to check the bit rate at both ends of the ethernet cable. The outages are now in 15 minutes increments. We are using the DNS of the provider, so it is my belief that this should sort out the issues of differing DNS servers, as we have a single point where our users are acquiring their DNS settings.

We are using this service on a small WISP.

IP Logged

Admin1
YaBB Admin
★★★★★

Reply #5 - Aug 19th, 2014 at 7:56pm  
You say "We are pinging from the modem to a public server."

If these pings are suffering breaks and this ping generator is inside the Gilat modem it suggests that the problem is not in your local cabling/LAN.

Do the outages still occur when there is no other traffic ?
If VOIP traffic is prioritised, maybe it is causing congestion and TCP traffic to be dropped?

Satellite modems normally include some kind of proprietary acceleration and traffic type prioritisation (QOS).  Gilat and iDirect probably have quite different methods and default configurations and this could affect your traffic flow when you change from iDirect to Gilat.

Best regards, Eric

IP Logged

Oasis Networks
★★★

Reply #6 - Aug 19th, 2014 at 8:14pm  
Hi,

I would also look at the caching, maybe try to remove it or reset its setting. Maybe there are some conflicts because of settings still related to the old platform (although it is supposed to be transparent). This could be some static routes or DNS caching etc.

www.oasisnetworks.net - Oasis Networks - Online with you!
IP Logged

imon
★★

Guyana, SA
Reply #7 - Sep 1st, 2014 at 7:51pm  
Hello,

We were finally able to sort out the issue on the satellite uplink. Admin1, was more or less heading in the right diretion with his comments.

We had to make some QoS traffic rules on our local router as we too believed it maybe some type of TCP congestion issue. The hub also took a look at the type of traffic on our site and also made changes to our configuration on their end.

So far for the past week, we have been very stable and also we are achieving the data rates we are paying for.

thanks for all the comments and guidance. Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1