Advertisment: Broadband via satellite
Advertisment: Worldwide satellite services from Ground Control Company

www.satsig.net

Satellite Internet Forum.

Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

Vsat C band question: Suitability for maritime ?

(Read 2753 times)
Ex Member
Ex Member
★★

Nov 4th, 2014 at 11:06am  
In the maritime vsat game, does C-band stand above Ku in an SCPC network due to wider coverage and non-rain fade characteristics? I know there are a few other trade-offs eg. size of remote, but what other things are worth considering in setting up such a hypothetical network?
« Last Edit: Feb 1st, 2017 at 5:59pm by Admin1 »  

IP Logged

Oasis Networks
★★★

Reply #1 - Nov 5th, 2014 at 11:05am  
Hi,

The big two things you will need to check are:
1. The ship route - and provide satellite or satellites with the right footprint.
2. Inbound and outbound bandwidth...and do the link budget according to the available platforms you have - c or Ku.

Dish size is a big issue, many times it is very difficult to find a place for the big C band system on the ship. Not to mention the price.

Ku band sometimes affected by some radar signals.

good luck
Nimrod

www.oasisnetworks.net - Oasis Networks - Online with you!
IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member
★★

Reply #2 - Nov 6th, 2014 at 11:59am  
If the service provider changes and their network equipment requires changes ie say from idirect to hughes etc, going from one footprint onto another say for a global ship, how does that work? Or is that not necessary if you have the correct option files loaded onto one modem, I'm not really sure how that transition happens. Or are we talking more than one antenna?
I didn't know Ku band was compromised by some radars, I know C band does.

IP Logged

Vsat Advisor
★★

Reply #3 - Jun 2nd, 2016 at 4:48pm  
Hi there, I would not reccomend C Band. Service availability will be more or less the same everytime you sign a contract. However a Ku will give you much more speeds availability since all maritime ISPs will improve their bandwidth only in KU footprints.

IP Logged

Pages: 1