Advertisment: Broadband via satellite
Advertisment: Worldwide satellite services from Ground Control Company

www.satsig.net

Satellite Internet Forum.

Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

Another Newby Question about where can I get the kit etc.

(Read 2163 times)
SteveJay
★★

Oct 21st, 2015 at 12:39pm  
I have been trying to quickly climb the Satellite Internet Knowledge curve so please forgive me if I make a few mistakes in my logic.

I live in Rural South of France and have a Motorhome in which I tour Europe and spend about six months in each per year.
I need to get reasonable internet while away and at home so I can manage our small UK property business which is our pension. At present at home I beam my internet from a friends house 7 km away which luckily I have line of sight to. Unfortunately SFR has messed about with their cables and we are only getting 0.5 mb/s rather than the 3.5 mb/s we are used to which was perfectly adequate. While away I have to search out McD's and FON hotspots which is not ideal.

So I am looking at the Satellite route but it would be essential really because of cost to use it while away, so I thought as we have an 80cm Motorised Satellite dish on the van I could add an iLNB to that and I also have a spare 80cm Dish on the house because I have had to install a 1.2mtr one to get UK Freesat TV. I could then move the Modem from the van to the house.

I have established that the Ku band is probably what I need as it has a footprint covering most of Europe and I understand that I would not have to notify the ISP as I move from place to place as I understand is necessary with the faster Ka band typically from TooWay.

I have searched and searched but cannot find a supplier for the Modem and two iLNB's I will need. Because of space I need a particular shape of iLNB. The attached picture shows the exact dish I have on the motorhome set up for TV and internet.

Any help or suggestions where I can get this kit and if any of my ideas are wrong would be gratefully received. As would a good ISP for my purposes I am looking at satelliteinternet.co.uk at the moment which looks to be the best value and most flexible although they have not yet answered my email sent a few days ago.
SteveJay

Sat_Dish.jpg (16 KB | 287 )
Sat_Dish.jpg

IP Logged

Admin1
YaBB Admin
★★★★★

Reply #1 - Oct 21st, 2015 at 2:38pm  
The appearance of the iLNB in your picture suggests that it works with the "ASTRA2connect" service, also known as "SES Broadband". Search for a company that provides that service.
Best regards, Eric.
« Last Edit: Oct 22nd, 2015 at 10:12am by Admin1 »  
IP Logged

SteveJay
★★

Reply #2 - Oct 21st, 2015 at 4:16pm  
Thanks Eric, perhaps I didn't explain myself properly, It is Astra3 at 23deg I need to use for broadband so I can use Astra2 at 28 for automatically aligning the dish on the motorhome from the TV feed from the offset LNB. And I have found a number of ISP's so just looking for recommendations here really.
The ISP's will supply the kit but want to supply the lot including dish inclinometer etc. What I need is a supplier of just the iLNB's and Modem I have searched on the internet but can't find any or maybe I am asking the wrong questions.
Steve

IP Logged

Admin1
YaBB Admin
★★★★★

Reply #3 - Oct 22nd, 2015 at 10:26am  
Regarding the motorhome antenna. This appears to be an approved antenna for the Astra2connect/SES broadband service. If you can get the corresponding modem you should be allowed to operate a service.

Regarding the home solution. Service providers will want to be sure you are using an approved dish/feed/iLNB and that is why they are offering complete systems.  They cannot be certain that your own procured 1.2m antenna will be technically acceptable in terms of transmit sidelobes and transmit cross polarisation isolation.  They worry that your site will cause interference to other satellite systems and that they will be responsible since they let you into the network with an unapproved antenna.
« Last Edit: Oct 22nd, 2015 at 4:28pm by Admin1 »  
IP Logged

Pages: 1