Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

Re: Tooway KA-SAT installation manual.

(Read 14170 times)
Kellogs
★★

May 3rd, 2012 at 1:02pm  
Nice video, I followed the quide from Youtube.
There are some additional information to take care of if you are an end-user.

In short:
* Do not use compass or elevation tools on your smartphone, they are not accurate because of the metal presence.
* Using the compass may be wrong because the tria acts as a magnet. So it is better to use Google maps and look for trees and alignments.
* Use Eric self elevation meter printed on paper.
* The socle should be perfectly vertical, any error superior to 1 degree makes it difficult to reach peak signal.
* During first alignment, the error due to weight may be 1 degree.

If you are interested, read my feedback:
https://www.satsig.net/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1336034399
« Last Edit: May 3rd, 2012 at 2:13pm by Kellogs »  

IP Logged

europe-satellite.com
★★★

London UK
Reply #1 - May 3rd, 2012 at 2:34pm  
* Do not use compass or elevation tools on your smartphone, they are not accurate because of the metal presence.
--> Never had a problem using a compass when aligning a dish. Use it for a global settings and fine tune with a satellite finder or in Tooway KA-SAT case use the build-in beeper. Pointing is just a matter of 1 or max 2 minutes.

* Using the compass may be wrong because the tria acts as a magnet. So it is better to use Google maps and look for trees and alignments.
--> See above.

* Use Eric self elevation meter printed on paper.
--> You don't need this for a Tooway KA-SAT installation, check settings via the Tooway tool and you have all correct info to align a dish !

* The socle should be perfectly vertical, any error superior to 1 makes it difficult to reach peak signal.
--> Not really important, just use a satellite finder or the Tooway KA-SAT build-in beeper and adjust the basic (elevation) settings a bit before you move the dish.

--> ??

Our latest Tooway installation in France last Monday took us 1 minute to align the dish, using a 2,00 euro compass for global settings and info from the Tooway KA-SAT pointing tool. and all done on a ....... 100% metal building/roof (using the location of the sun does the pointing job already for 75%).

Look at the pole and the metal roof (above link) Smiley

FYI, we installing Tooway systems since 2006 Smiley

Dear Mr. Kellogs, I don't understand your remarks and I think they are also not correct.
« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2021 at 3:42pm by Admin1 »  

IP Logged

dazzer1974
★★

Reply #2 - May 3rd, 2012 at 2:44pm  
Same here, been installing Tooway since the first system, I use a euro compass to check my heading once I have this I no longer need it, My elevation is done on a app and takes me around a minute to line these up, a lot different from the first ever Tooway service! Viasat have made these really easy to install.

IP Logged

Kellogs
★★

Reply #3 - May 3rd, 2012 at 4:23pm  
Please consider I am just a newbee in satellite pointing!

* About the compass and elevation tools: I used my smartphone at first and it prooved incorrect because of the presence of metal. A lot of people might want to use a smartphone, therefore I prefer to warn them not to do so.

* About the elevation meter on the dish: it was not as efficient as an elevation meter, which shows "real" elevation. Also, the scale is larger. I even bought a real one online since then ...

--> ?? The dish is so heavy that if the two attachments are not firm, there is a small deviation. I measured the deviation, which was around 1 degree. After tighting the two attachements, this deviation was gone.

Now one question, as you are professionals: how to monitor the tria status? I would like to know the TX power to be able to tune the installation at any time.
« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2021 at 3:42pm by Admin1 »  

IP Logged

MrMuckyPaws
★★★

UK
Reply #4 - May 3rd, 2012 at 4:56pm  
point your browser at 196.168.100.1 (I think its this IP) and you'll get the modem status pages per the pictures on Europe-Satellites posting.

Its the same IP used for the /install option when you commission the system.

IP Logged

dazzer1974
★★

Reply #5 - May 3rd, 2012 at 5:02pm  
I have never had to dial back into a modem after the install but you can with the normal modem's IP without going into the install mode. Below is a link to another forum post ref testing your link back to Skylogic's servers.

https://www.satsig.net/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1327532357

with reference to pointing, I only need the compass azimuth and an elevation setting from the App, I don't need this once I'm pointing the dish, These are only used to give me a guide to the right area and angle to point to. Most off my work is on old buildings in the middle of nowhere and try finding a perfectly flat wall on these properties half the time is impossible so the elevation will change anyway to allow for this.

Try the pointing tools in the above link and see how you get on.

« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2021 at 3:43pm by Admin1 »  

IP Logged

europe-satellite.com
★★★

London UK
Reply #6 - May 3rd, 2012 at 5:48pm  
About the compass and elevation tools: I used my smartphone at first and it prooved incorrect because of the presence of metal. A lot of people might want to use a smartphone, therefore I prefer to warn them not to do so.
-->WRONG ADVICE, any smartphone or compass will work perfect as long you keep them away from metal, in your case 1 meter is ok. In fact you dont need any of those if you look at the location of the sun. The south is easy to spot and just move a bit to the left.

Move the dish slowly from left to right and in the meantime change slowly elevation (start a bit higher than advised), you will spot the bird in a few minutes without any other pointing tool needed Smiley

About the elevation meter on the dish: it was not as efficient as an elevation meter, which shows "real" elevation. Also, the scale is larger. I even bought a real one online since then ...
--> Not needed at all, the scale on the dish is perfect.

The dish is so heavy that if the two attachments are not firm, there is a small deviation. I measured the deviation, which was around 1 degree. After tighting the two attachements, this deviation was gone.
--> The dish is very light, dont understand your remark. After aligning the dish and activating the modem make sure all bolts on the dish are tightened to avoid any movement in the future.

Check always the final signals levels before you leave the site (after fixing the dish). Keep a screen-print of every activation page for later usage if needed.

Now one question, as you are professionals: how to monitor the tria status? I would like to know the TX power to be able to tune the installation at any time.
--> Has been answered by others (192.168.100.1).

Your provider should be able to give you usage and signal (RX and TX) modem info, this can be monitored also 24/7 on-line.

< Tooway KA-SAT online terminal info >

The above link to europe-satellite web site is broken so I have put the document here:

44 pages 7 Mbytes pdf file:
tooway-installation-terminal-handbook-v46-oct-2009 Pages 44

There were two videos, also broken links so I have put the videos here:

Tooway installation video 2011 part 1

Tooway installation video 2011 part 2

< Download Tooway KA-SAT install manual >

The above link to europe-satellite web site is broken so I have put the document here:

93 pages 11 Mbytes pdf file:
tooway-installation-manual-handbook-v45-oct-2009 Pages 93

Good luck Smiley

Please note that I have updated this 2011 page to repair broken links etc. Forum admin..
« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2021 at 4:10pm by Admin1 »  

IP Logged

martyn94
★★

Reply #7 - May 9th, 2012 at 7:04pm  
Like another poster here, my problem has been to get a firm mounting in the first place. The dish, with Tria attached, exerts a very hefty leverage on the mount. And the only suitable wall is more holes (or hollow bricks) than solid masonry. And nothing like vertical or flat. And the only L-shaped mounts easily obtained (here in france) are underspecified for the application.

In my case, I left here last November with a well aligned dish, and returned in March with it ready to fall off the wall. After extended trials with wall plugs and bolts, I came to two conclusions. First, the only solid anchor on the wall is given by the Fischer system: a two-part mortar injected with a standard gun into either a 10mm hole for solid walls (as in my case) or into a 16mm hole for hollow bricks (plus in french a plastic "tampon" to line the hole). Into that, you put an 8mm bolt (in my case) or other fittings of your choice. It's early days yet, but if it ever comes down, I suspect it will bring half the wall with it. Second, that precise orientation of
the mount isn't possible and doesn't much matter: even if it looks straight when you bolt it on, it will sag like hell once you fit the kit (the dish is neither here nor there, but the Tria assembly is heavy stuff on the end a long boom).

Once you have fixed the dish. I find that my iPad (with the necessary apps) gives a good reading for elevation (applied to the sloping element at the back of the dish) but a dubious compass bearing unless you stand well back from the dish.

Getting the coarse bearing is a bit like pinning the tail on the donkey: you'll get there if you persevere. After that, it really doesn't matter, in my experience, if the mast is grossly out of true (as mine is) despite what is said (rightly for most purposes) in how-tos on the subject.

The problem is that changes to a crooked dish aren't independent: if you improve the horizontal alignment it throws out the vertical alignment you previously thought was OK, and vice versa. Which is true: but the Viasat system allows you to retrim and retrim (over steadily reducing swings of the dish) until you get to an adequate signal.

Maybe I'm lucky: I'm pretty near in the meat of my spot beam. But I have found it much easier in the end (once attached firmly to a wall) than any tv dish I have done, despite the much greater precision required.

IP Logged

Pages: 1