Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

Mobile Gilat system

(Read 3909 times)
Ex Member
Ex Member

Mar 28th, 2006 at 1:49pm  
I have a Gilat 360E system which is not currently being used.

Is it feasible to install this in a vehicle (Land Rover) for use with a WiFi router?

How difficult is it to align at a new location?  Is this a 5 minute or 30 minute job?  Any special equipment required for alignment?

What companies provide service for this in the UK? 

How would the performance of this system compare to using a 3G mobile phone connection?

Thanks.

FC

IP Logged

Eric Johnston
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Reply #1 - Apr 3rd, 2006 at 11:16pm  
Frank

There are some Gilat network operators listed on https://www.satsig.net/ivsat-europe.htm and https://www.satsig.net/uk-satellite-broadband.htm
I suggest you email them all and ask about tariffs and their attitude to you moving the terminal about.  

If the terminal is intended for fixed operation the installation will need manually setting up and pointing.  This may take from 10 minutes to several hours, depending how much preparation is done beforehand, the skill of the operator, and what goes wrong.  To assist setting up, a map or GPS is useful to determine lat and long plus some kind of signal meter and a PC.

If the terminal is supposedly fully automatic in operation it may take from 2 to 10 minutes to set up or it may not work at all.

Each site move will require communications with the hub for permission to operate, to verify your polarisation adjustment and to set new range.   If the hub staff have just gone to lunch or closed down for the day then you may have to wait.  If you deal direct with a hub e.g. GT&T, there is better chance of a reponsive service than it you buy through some reseller intermediary who has to relay your requests on to someone else every time.

The bit rates and data quantities to be sent and received vary according to the tariff you pay.  The same kit may be used to provide a wide range of end user rates.   For short term operations, think in terms of $7000 per month per dedicated Mbit/s and dividing this down as you will, with allowance upwards for the trouble involved with short term operations.   If your service is critically important like live IP video feeds from sporting events then the lowest tariffs intended for people willing to tolerate low bit rates and congestion will be quite unsuitable.    Explain what you want to do.

The service providers who respond saying they offer Gilat connection will be able to give you more details.

Best regards, Eric.

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Apr 6th, 2006 at 3:07pm  
Many thanks for your reply Eric. I have decided not to proceed with this project as a UMTS based system is so much better.

Thanks again.

F

IP Logged

europe-satellite.com
★★★

London UK
Reply #3 - Apr 6th, 2006 at 3:33pm  
We use a mobile Gilat system on our Landrover, have a look at our site (hire) www.elmolinosystems.com We can connect you also.

regards,

El Molino Systems S.L.

Frits Blomsma

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #4 - May 15th, 2006 at 8:57am  
(Ok so no-one wants to recommend a mobile satellite system :-)

Perhaps Eric or someone can answer this?

I suspected interaction with the hub might be a problem with taking a fixed system on the road, but how do the 'one touch' mobile systems deal with this? Why can't I just emulate what the mobile controller does?

Chris

IP Logged

Eric Johnston
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Reply #5 - May 15th, 2006 at 9:20am  
I recommend SeaTel for mobile satellite systems.  They will work both in land and sea.   Read above - Molino have a fixed type system mounted on a Landrover.  Presumably, when stopped, they repoint the dish and reestablish communications.

Regarding transportable and mobile operations:

Interaction with the hub:  the varying range is a problem, since your bursts will move in time and may overlap with others, causing both your and their service to fail.   Each time you more you need to re-range.

Antenna pointing is also a problem.  It is not just a case of getting a good signal but avoiding interference from a and to other satellites and to users on the opposite polarisatation on the same satellite.   The skill required is too much for some people.

Consider also the alternatives: SATELLITE PHONES, IRIDIUM, BGAN, RBGAN and INMARSAT services which are specifically designed for transportable and mobile operation.   Search in Google for these phrases/words.

Best regards, Eric.

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #6 - May 15th, 2006 at 2:34pm  
Thanks for the response Eric. I see the problem now - I was wondering how VSATs avoided interference if two transmitted concurrently. I'm off to read the DW4020 manual which seems to throw some light on ranging. I'm starting to see why the fully mobile units cost so much.

The problem with BGAN etc, is it's all metered - with data at C. £5/Mb it's too expensive to be practical.

The capital cost of a Datastorm or similar is hard to justify unless I do a lot more work and that's not the point of living in a motorhome...

Currently I have a 1-way system (GPRS for the up-link) which is starting to look like the best compromise. The difficulty is I drift round Europe and so can't take advantage of any of the GPRS bundles on offer, always getting stuffed with roaming charges. Even so, the cost is bearable (about £100/month) for moderate use, but I have some issues with VPN, satellite footprint, etc which still need to be resolved.

Chris

IP Logged

Pages: 1