Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

New here looking for  isle  del margerit

(Read 3768 times)
sirpsarks
★★

Dec 12th, 2008 at 12:38am  
Hi folks, I am new today and looking for info on the easiest satellites to go for to get general interest English and German language stations from Isle del Margerita island in the Carribean
Lat = 11.1137 North, Longitude = -63.8663 West.

Also what size and type of dish and transponder info greatly appreciated.Thanks, Pete.

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #1 - Dec 12th, 2008 at 4:31am  
The place to start on this site would be here: https://www.satsig.net/ivsat.htm . English language programming shouldn't be a problem. But odds are high you'd need a 2nd dish and receiver to satisfy the German requirement

//greg//

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

Eric Johnston
★★★

Reply #2 - Dec 12th, 2008 at 9:03am  
Try also this page https://www.lyngsat.com/america.html and search the list of satellites, in each case looking for German programming and simultaneous beam coverage of your location.

Best regards, Eric.

IP Logged

sirpsarks
★★

Reply #3 - Dec 12th, 2008 at 9:53pm  
Thanks for the input. I don't really see anything on that page except for Spanish language, If the dish is at approx. 11 N and 63 W  does that mean I need to choose a satellite close to 63 W  or do I merely go by footprints?

Pete.

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #4 - Dec 13th, 2008 at 12:35am  
As long as your geoloco is covered by a satellite footprint map, you have to potential to receive it. As a general rule - the farther you are from the center of the footprint, the bigger dish you'll need. But that too can vary by satellite.

Clarify something for me, because I get the feeling you're working on a project that has something to do with tourists. If true, the German part is self-explanatory. But the English - would those tourists be North American? or from another English speaking part of the world. I say this, because it may be less difficult finding UK and German programming on the same satellite - than it would be finding US and German together.

//greg//

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

sirpsarks
★★

Reply #5 - Dec 13th, 2008 at 3:27am  
Gregg,
My only project is keeping my new girlfriend happy, lol.
She is German living on the Venezualean Island of Margarita, and I am a Brit living in Florida. She has an existing unused 70cm (her guess) dish on her roof and I am visiting for 2 weeks over Christmas. She has no TV but I wanted to try and set something up with a new transponder and a Sat to PC card. We both speak each others languages fluently, and would actually prefer European English broadcasts. By the way I did find a German station called prosieben on Dishnetwork but she says her neighbour has it and it sucks. Gotta keep her happy. LOL, Besides it is interesting, years ago I trained as a BBC transmitter tech, oh boy! how things have changed.

I appreciate all the good help and advice I am getting here.  Pete.

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #6 - Dec 13th, 2008 at 4:32am  
Ok, not the usual request seen on this forum. So it calls for a less than usual response. I suggest you fire up your favorite search engine, and research both UK and Deutsche FTA (free to air) satellite reception. You might get lucky and find one satellite that can satisfy both your needs with the equipment you already listed.

//greg//

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

Eric Johnston
★★★

Reply #7 - Dec 13th, 2008 at 8:39am  
This page will help you point the dish: Dish pointing Caribbean.

Assuming you don't try to point at a satellite below 10 deg elevation you can consider satellites from orbit position 7 East to 135 West.  There are many to look at on the Lyngsat page.  In each programme case you need to check the beam map to see if is covers your location and for suggested dish size for the contour.

Best regards, Eric.

IP Logged

sirpsarks
★★

Reply #8 - Dec 13th, 2008 at 2:33pm  
Great,
Thanks Greg and Eric,
I'll keep you informed.
Pete.

IP Logged

Pages: 1