Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

Little Satellite Proposal Project

(Read 3881 times)
MrBlue
★★

Oct 8th, 2014 at 5:30am  
Hello folks,

I just started working as an intern for a IT company. I was assigned to write up a proposal on a personal satellite television project. I would like some advice on the project.

The information I was given:
What satellite antenna I would be using: 1.2m KuBand Offset Dish Satellite (receive only)
Purpose of this project: General testing of different satellite signals
Location of installation: household flat rooftop

Given the limited information I tried to generalize a block diagram for the project.
Antenna > (RG6 Coaxial Cable- F connector) > Receiver > (HDMI) > TV

I know there can also be other components in there i.e. surge protector, power inserter, preamps, splitters...etc. I am not too sure if I need any of those.

A couple things I have questions about:
- I ordered the 1.2 satellite antenna (did not arrive yet), but the website did not say what kind of mounting it came with (i.e. king post, non-pen mount...etc.) and other foundation specification (cement block dimensions). I have to come up with how to mount the satellite as well. I will probably make make a autocad drawing of the mounting as illustration but I don't have enough information. Is there a general/popular specification for that antenna size?

- Currently, my bill of materials contains antenna, coaxial cable, receiver, LNB, and TV. I would need some testing equipment such as a signal meter for installation purposes. Is there anything else I am missing?

So to summarize, my proposal contains:
Bill of materials, satellite specs, system overview (block diagram), installation instructions (mounting and cabling), operational instructions (rotating the EL/AZ of antenna to different satellites)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated in the system overview and installation. 

IP Logged

Admin1
YaBB Admin
★★★★★

Reply #1 - Oct 10th, 2014 at 10:02pm  
Surge protector.
It is a good idea to ground the antenna structure and to ground the outer conductor of the coax as it enters the building to minimise fire and personnel hazards in the event of lightning strike.
Surge protectors for the centre wire of the coax do exist but I've only ever used such things once.  They help protect the indoor equipment.

Power inserter.
This is needed if your indoor set top box does not provide a DC power supply the LNB. It may be helpful to have a multi-voltage PSU, +13 and +19 volts.

Preamps.
L band slope amps are useful for very long cables. e.g. put one slope amp midway along a 60m cable run.

Splitters.
An L band splitter is useful indoors to provide for multiple receivers or for receivers and test equipment such as a spectrum analyser.  make sure at least one path though the splitter has "DC PASS" if you want to power the LNB from a set top box.  Be careful never to allow DC to get to the input of a spectrum analyser that has no DC protection.

Satellite TV.
This page provides an introduction: Satellite TV

Best regards, Eric.
« Last Edit: Oct 11th, 2014 at 5:55pm by Admin1 »  
IP Logged

Pages: 1